Swelling! Is this normal? Is there anything I can do for it?

On Monday I had a TT, BA as well as liposuction of the flanks. Yesterday I was amazed at how swollen I am below the Compression garment. My legs, hips and buttocks are swollen and are rock hard! Is this normal? Is there anything I can do for it? Thank you for time.

Yes, that is normal but you will need to be seen by your PS to review your result and what can be done about the swelling. 

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Swelling Concern After a Mommy Makeover Procedure

Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort. If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Post op swelling

Yes, post op swelling is a downside of surgery. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months to fully subside although it should begin to dissipate over the next few weeks. If you feel that yours is very extreme, you should have it assessed in person by your surgeon. Your compression garment could be too tight. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a mommy makeover like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery and then slowly begins to go away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#liposuction #tummytuck #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes #realself

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Swelling may take several months to subside.

Should you feel that there is more swelling than usual, I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Take care.

Lower extremity swelling after Mommy Makeover

A "Mommy Makeover" usually consists of multiple procedures performed at the same time, which results in a longer OR and anesthesia time. During surgery you receive a large volume of salt in your IV fluid and this can accumulate in the tissues outside of the surgical area, including legs, thighs and back. Normally this fluid should be reabsorbed by your body beginning 2-3 days after your surgery, when your body realizes that the trauma of surgery is something that you can recover from. Occasionally, however, lower extremity swelling and leg or calf pain can be associated with blood clots that can form in the blood vessels of the legs during long surgery. Please let your Plastic Surgeon know of your concerns, and certainly call if you are having leg pain.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

Thank you for your question.  This type of swelling is common and normal following mommy makeover.  My advice is to limit you activity, continue wearing your garment and elevate your legs as much as possible.  You should see improvement in the swelling in a few days.

Very swollen after mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Swelling is normal after surgery but it sounds as though your garment may be too tight.
  • I suggest you contact your plastic surgeon to discuss your concern.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Swelling below garment

Thank you for your question.  The compression garment can help to limit postop swelling.   If you are concerned that you are more swollen than normal, I would recommend contacting your plastic surgeon.

Swelling after mommy makeover

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. Normally after most cosmetic procedures, especially body procedures, the swelling increases for the first 5 - 7 days; then your body starts getting rid of extra fluid and your appearance improves and your swelling goes down over the next 3 months.Be patient, it may take many weeks for swelling to resolve after your procedures. Continuing to wear your compression garment is very important. Your plastic surgeon will be the best person to ask about your swelling. He or she has their own techniques to deal with post operative swelling, and he or she would be the best judge of what would be right for you. :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD