Illiolingual nerve pain presented itself 6 months after TT with Lipo. Is it permanent?

Had TT with Lipo and breast reduction with implants in May 2015. 6 months later I had this sharp burning labor like pains that occurred only in AM and took 3 months to diagnose after several ER visits and many specialists. Currently on Gabapenten, Amitriptyline and pain meds in between nerve block and steroid injections but I'm still not comfortable or pain free. And the pains now come anytime. I never know when it's going to hit me. Is this permanent? Am I on the right track med wise?

Ilioinguinal nerve pain can happen after a tummy tuck, but it is unusual for it to just spontaneously happen 6 months later without either numbness or dysesthesias(abnormal pain sensations) being present sooner after the surgery. If you had no numbness or other abnormal sensations until recently, I would recommend that you be evaluated for other sources for why the nerve pain is occurring, like back issues.If your pain is from ilioinguinal entrapment, a nerve block is a good solution and works well.

Nerve pain months after TT

if you have had a full workup including MRI or ultrasound, then seeing a pain management physician is a good option. Its very unusual for this small peripheral nerve to cause problems so late, but if you had ultrasonic lipo at the time, it might cause more nerve issues. Might also switch to Lyrica

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Obliterate the nerve pain

I would suspect that the meds are just going to treat the pain.  Nerve blocks can be made permanent you should see a pain specialist who may be able to obliterate the nerve pain.