I had a tummy tuck in Miami 2 weeks ago & I think I may have developed a seroma on the flight home?

I got my drains removed on Monday & stayed in Miami until Friday & all was good. I flew home yesterday & noticed some swelling on my lower left side & I think I can see the wave. Is it possible to get a saroma from traveling? I am going to call Dr Mel Ortega this morning, but if it needs to be drained is there a Dr in Grand Rapids, MI that could drain it? Thanks!

Possible seroma

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for the struggle you face.  Ask your plastic surgeon if he has a colleague he could call to evaluate you or he may suggest you get an ultrasound guided drainage of the seroma at a local hospital.  You may need the help of your primary care doctor as well.  I hope you have a speedy recovery.  

If you think that you have developed a seroma, you need to be examined to determine if drainage is necessary. It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.

as below

I recommend you talk to your surgeon and ask for local recommendation if needed.

Abdominoplasty seroma

Get evaluated by a local plastic surgeon. You may need to be drained. A simple procedure can resolve the issue but if it is neglected problems may occur.

Seroma

Thanks for your question. If there is a fluid "wave" then this is very likely to be a seroma. I doubt the flight played any great part in its formation, and it probably would have developed anyway. They are straight forward to drain in an office setting, so I am sure you can find someone closer to home to help you with this.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and serum?

If you have a serum, it is a good idea to have it evaluated and probably treated.  Your surgeon may have a colleague there who can help you.  Best of luck.

Seroma After Out-Of-State Tummy Tuck

Your plastic surgeon may know of a plastic surgeon in your local area that can help you. You should be prepared to pay the local plastic surgeon for his/her services, as usually post up visits are included in your overall surgical fee. Unfortunately, this is one of the issues that can arise when having plastic surgery away from where you live - issues with follow ups, especially when complications arise. There are plastic surgeons in the Grand Rapids area. They may want to talk with Dr. Ortega prior to treating you. Best of luck. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Seroma after TT

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to comment without seeing pictures. I recommend you talk to your surgeon and ask for local recommendation if needed.

I had a tummy tuck in Miami 2 weeks ago and I think I may have developed a seroma on the flight home?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your swelling.  Unfortunately without a series of photographs or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer a definite diagnosis as to the cause of your lower left side swelling as it may be a seroma or may be asymmetrical swelling from your procedure.  I would contact your surgeon's office and see if they have any reciprocal relationships with surgeons in Grand Rapids that would be willing to evaluate you.  If not you need to call several surgeons' offices to see if they would be willing to assume your care.  Best wishes

Seroma after breast reduction...

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure.  It is certainly possible that you have a fluid accumulation present and will benefit from in-person evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon. Your plastic surgeon or primary care physician may have a referral closer to you we may be able to see. Otherwise, you may need to return to your plastic surgeon or call plastic surgeons in your area.  Best wishes.