Should I consider Lipo or Tummy tuck? And if I were to get pregnant in the future would that cause any damage? (photo)

O have two kids, two C-sections within 14 months. I lift weights, I walk, work in a factory so I'm moving and on my feet for 11-12 hours a day, and yet I still cannot get rid of wanted belly fat. I've tried a lot of diets/excersizes and still nothing. Having 2 little ones and a full time job I don't have time for downtime. I'm tired of feeling ashamed of my body. I also don't have plans of having any more kids now but if I were to in the future would that react negatively to any of the options?

Tummy tuck?

I think you should get great improvement after a tummy tuck. If you have definite plans to get pregnant in the near future I would wait. Otherwise go for it.

Should I consider Lipo or TT? And if I were to get pregnant in the future would that cause any damage?

Thank you for your question. It is best to have children before you proceed with a TT. Pregnancy can erase the TTresults. A TT would be better suited vs. lipo. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

When do you operate?

Thanks for the questions and pictures. You look like you could benefit from both liposuction and abdominoplasty. Lipo alone would leave saggy skin. You would look worse, not better. Abdominoplasty alone would improve the overall contour but would still hide the underlying muscles. It would look smaller, but not better. Combining th procedures can be performed safely with a great chance of creating an athletic and to attractive torso.
The key is to find a surgeon who understands how to perform lipoabdominoplasty, or ideally, high definition liposculpture. 
The question of future pregnancy is important. It may distort the result. The best operative results are always present when the patient is at a stable weight. In no way should this prevent a successful pregnancy, but it is difficult to perform a second abdominoplasty. Best to wait until you know for sure.
You sound like you have a lot going on in your life. Make sure that you make time to heal. Give yourself at least several weeks to reucuperate before returning to a physically demanding job. Best of luck!

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Tummy Tuck for Mom of 2

Thanks for your question and pictures.  You look like a great candidate for combination tummy tuck and liposuction.  It sounds like you are very busy with your job and children so very important that you have someone to care for you and your family should you undergo this type of surgery.  Post-operative recovery for those working a busy physical job like yours is usually around 4-6 weeks at a minimum.  And as you have had two children, your plastic surgeon might recommend adding in breast lift/augmentation (which is often needed after childbearing) - hence the term "Mommy Makeover."

Make sure you find a board certified plastic surgeon to get your in-person consultation and surgical plan started off and completed on the right foot.

Cheers and best wishes,
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck?

Although I think you could see the most improvement with a tummy tuck, I would wait until you are definitely done having kids. Also, the recovery from the surgery is lengthy and with your job that might be tough. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Lipo and Tummy tuck

Hello dear, thanks for your question. Liposuction slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by removing excess fat deposits and improving your body contours and proportion.

Ideal liposuction candidates are:
  • Adults within 30% of their ideal weight who have firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone
  • Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
  • Non-smokers
  • Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for body contouring
If you are bothered by excess fat deposits – located anywhere on your body – that don’t respond to diet or exercise, liposuction may be right for you.

Based on your pictures I recommend to combine liposuction and tummy tuck. The combination of a liposuction with the a traditional tummy tuck has become a very common procedure. It is safe to combine the two procedures mainly to address the hip and flank areas. This is a very effective way to extenuate the contour of the waist along with the abdominoplasty. It is also important to realize that there is usually a limit on how much fat can be remove in a combined procedure.In general you may be a good tummy tuck candidate if:You are physically healthy and at a stable weight You have realistic expectations You are a non-smoker You are bothered by the appearance of your abdomen. Also The fat transfer, often called Brazilian butt lift has become extremely popular because it allows your plastic surgeon to transform your entire shape. You improve your waist, hips and of course your buttock.

I also recommend to visit a board certified plastic surgeon for a person evaluation and to talk about your goals.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. If you could choose only one procedure, it would absolutely be a tummy tuck. You have had children which has resulted in the stretching of your abdominal wall and the skin as well. Excess stretch marks are present are present and could also be reduced. A tummy tuck would involve the removal of excess skin in addition to tightening the abdominal muscle. This would result in a significant improvement in your contour with scars that can be well concealed within the bikini line.

Liposuction could be added as a supplement to other areas and indeed, with newer techniques such as "safe Lipo", you could even achieved results that would utilize both procedures at the same time. Of course, Smoking is a no no as this could present problems. Although pregnancy has not been shown to be an issue in patients who have previously had an abdominal plastic, it is certainly recommend that if you are planning for their pregnancies, waiting would be your best option.

Finally, it is also not uncommon to take the fat that is used during these procedures and place it into other areas of the body such as the breast or buttocks.
In any case, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in these matters. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or lipo; what if I get pregnant after?

From your pictures it appears that your stomach muscles have been stretched out and you need an abdominoplasty. In addition you appear to have excess skin, which would be addressed at the same time. Of course only an in person consultation can confirm all this. As others have stated, it is best to wait until done having children to have the TT, but it is not dangerous to get pregnant. A bigger challenge for you would be to find the down time to have the operation. Usually it takes a minimum of 2 weeks off from a full time job. 

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

I would recommend a tummy tuck since you have stretched out skin.  Lipo will not get rid of the extra skin.  If you are planning to have more children I would wait to have the tummy tuck as another pregnancy could stretch everything out again.  Best wishes!

Maida Parkins, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Should I consider Lipo or Tummy tuck? And if I were to get pregnant in the future would that cause any damage?

Most plastic surgeons would suggest that you finish having children before undergoing a full abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles, which will produce the best long term cosmetic result.

There are other options that exist for the appropriate patient: A wedge excision of the lower abdominal excess tissue without repair of the muscle, liposuction in conjunction with the wedge excision, or liposuction alone, which will not produce the same cosmetic result as a full tummy tuck
.
Pregnancy following tummy tuck surgery is possible and is not dangerous, but if you think that there may be future pregnancies, you should wait to have surgery until you are done having children, since pregnancy will stretch out the skin and abdominal muscles again, usually undoing the repairs that were achieved with the abdominoplasty. In that case, a secondary tummy tuck to repair recurrent muscle laxity or loose skin may be beneficial. Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon