What can I expect to happen to my implants once I begin having children?

I am a 21 year old with an extreme assemetry problem (one B and one D). I am considering getting them corrected with breast implants. I don't plan on becoming pregnant for at least 4-5 more years but I am wondering what I can expect to happen with my breasts once I hit my child bearing years. I am aware of the many changes that happen, most commonly loss of volume and perkiness, with pregnancy. What will these changes look like with implants in? I can't seem to find any images online. Thanks!

BA/pregnancy

Many of my patients have breast implants and go on to have children with no issues. Because the breasts can grow significantly during pregnancy, there is a risk of drooping later on when the volume decreases again. I always recommend good bra support- especially during pregnancy and breast feeding.

Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about those concerns when planning your surgery.

All the best

Sagging a concern

The primary concern would most likely be sagging. Having children can rapidly inflate and deflate the breasts due to breast milk production, and this can make the breasts sag. Implants can accentuate this sagging. This isn’t guaranteed, but you should be aware of it. However, if you choose a proportionately sized implant, it could help reduce this risk.

What can happen to my implants after children.

It can be very hard to predict just what will happen after pregnancy with or without an implant. We have very many who have had children after breast augmentation and though there might be some volume loss most seem to do very well with little problem, even after several children. Breast volume asymmetry can cause more issues as when the breast matures during pregnancy the asymmetry can become more so and the skin envelope ever more changed by pregnancy. A hedge against fate might be a reduction of the larger and a similar implant in both sides. 

Thank you for your question. In order to best meet your needs, I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon. This way, you can explain your desires and find an option that works for you. An in-person assessment is always best. In terms of pregnancy changes, your body will definitely go through a series of changes, however, I would recommend also asking your plastic surgeon this during your in-person assessment. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Asymmetry

When someone has breast asymmetry the real only way to tell what is needed is by an examination. If one of your breast is ptotic (droopy) then an implant alone will not suffice. You would need some type of lift procedure. There is a possibility also you would then need just an implant on the one side. Again, this only can be determined by the exam.
Yes, pregnancy will change things. Probably the biggest change will be on the D-cup breast. This would be mostly due to the stretching of the skin and that the breast could again be more ptotic. While you cannot find images online,  what you have is not uncommon.
Hope this helps. 

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

From what you describe, you are probably going to need a mastopexy reduction on the large side and then bilateral breast implants.  It's been my experience over the last 25 years, that it's best, especially at a young age to get the volume of the natural breasts corrected such that two of the same size implants can be placed. That way, as your body changes with pregnancy, the gland gets larger and then smaller after breast-feeding, you have a better chance of having two breasts that are about the same size. The implant, especially under the muscle, is not really affected by weight gain whether pregnancy or by itself. You might want to consider waiting for this procedure until you've had your children. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Your question is a common one for young women considering breast augmentation. Not having photos of your breast nor an exam makes this impossible to answer.
However, the one thing that is absolutely certain is the there is no way to predict.
I have seen patients that have implants and become pregnant. Some have a significant effect with breast tissue engorgement and then involution which can create sagging. Others have no residual effects at all and go right back to their normal pre pregnancy breast appearance.
It really depends on the individual.

Joel M. Stewart, Jr., MD
Newnan Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

Breast implants typically do not affect how the breasts behave with age or pregnancy. Less breast tissue initially often does better over time since there is less tissue to be affected by aging, gravity or engorgement with pregnancy. Often with severe asymmetries, reducing the large breast and then augmenting  both with same sized implants allows better long term symmetry. Often using two very different sized implants leads to asymmetries earlier that need to be addressed. The goal is always to achieve symmetry  for as long as possible.

Richard Hainer, MD
Rochester Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  In my opinion, a size difference like the one you described will probably need more than just implants to correct.  A reduction or lift or variation of those operations my be necessary to get the most correction.  Thought must be given to waiting until after you are done having children to have the surgery as well.  Your breast will change with pregnancy and breast feeding and this will vary from patient to patient.  It can be hard to predict, but in general I feel as though the change is less than in the patient without implants because the volume of the implants is stable through pregnancy and breastfeeding.  Have several consultations with plastic surgeons in your area before proceeding.  Best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon