Breast lift or breast implants?

I am a 39 yrs old woman 132 pound, 5'1 tall that is trying to decide if I should have a breast lift with fat transfer to breast or breast implants. breasts size is 34 b, I don't wish to increase my side but would like to have a fuller and perky breast. Due to my age I'm worry that if i decide to get a breast lift and due to time and gravity they will fell again. What should I do?

Lift without implants

Based on these photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for a breast lift.  I would suggest that you will not get the position shape and symmetry that you would like with an implant

Breast Lift vs. Breast Implants

Candidates for Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) surgery are women who have #saggingbreasts due to past pregnancies, genetics, or aging. Often times the sagging is too great to be treated by implants alone. Women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume.  One side can be tightened more or less than another.A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. It is completely up to you if you wish to add an implant to your breast lift procedure, though it is not necessarily required. You can bring this up with your surgeon in consultation and planning the procedure, and decide if you feel it would be a helpful result to add some fullness and shape with an implant or fat transfer. Best of luck to you with either method!

Breasts are affected by gravity

Thank you for your question. Indeed, the laws of physics state that all things that go up, must come down. But, significant improvements have been made in the world of plastic surgery and specifically in current breast lifting techniques to minimize this truth. Conventional methods do not (in my opinion) take the necessary precautions to secure tissue/implant in place to minimize/prevent downward forces. The Horndeski Method breast lift has developed a way to maximize the lift, position, and long term stability of the breast tissue by securing it to the underlying muscle for long term results. The vertical incision has also been completely eliminated to provide strength to the skin envelope at the point of maximum tension. Typically, this is where the skin envelope fails and the weight of the implant or tissue widens the scar or tears it apart. You are welcome to take a look at my gallery where you can find results up to 7yrs post surgery. I have also included a short video that shows how this technique works. I hope this helps.  Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift or Breast implants

Thank you for your question.  I agree with my colleagues that an examination is necessary in order to recommend the right options for you.  You stated that you want "perky breasts".  That would most likely require an implant.  A breast lift would give you a more youthful appearance, but will not give you any fullness at the top portion of your breasts.  You are correct that over time the breasts will sag again after you have the breast lift.  Be sure to visit a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation for the best results.  Best Wishes, Dr. B.

A.K. Bhattacharya, MD, FACS
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift vs Implants?

Without a proper examination, it is impossible to say what will work best for you.  A lift can make things higher and tighter, but over time the tissues can relax and not have as much shape as some patients desire.  Also, in general, a lift does make patients appear smaller on average.  Implants add the shape, but do come with volume.  The best thing to do is to go for a consultation and see what is recommended.  I hope this helps.

Fat or implants?

its really impossible to give solid advice without pictures or an exam.  An implant will add more fullness to your breasts vs fat injections but comes with the need for an additional operation down the road to exchange the implant.  Fat will give some volume but will partially absorb over time.  Both have pros and cons.  Visit with a few BC PS in your area to learn more.  Good luck!

Breast Lift

If you are unhappy with the shape of your breast a breast lift will reshape the breast for a pleasing cosmetic result.  Implants add volume.  I would not recommend fat transfer to the breast.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast lift with implants

Thank you for your question.  If you would like your breasts to be fuller and perkier, the most predictable results can be achieved with a breast lift and implants, not with fat transfer.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast lift or breast implants?

Fat grafting will only take you so far and generally takes more then 1 session depending on how loose the skin envelope may be.  When done well it works well as long as your expectations are set appropriately.  Whether you get an implant or fat grafting you will have droop in the future.  Your breast skin is simply a brassiere holding your breast tissue (and the implant or fat graft) and will loosen as your skin ages.  How quickly it loosens (skin elasticity) is based on your genetics, weight, weight change and how often you wear a bra. 

Breast Lift or Breast Implants?

Whether you would be best treated with a lift or implants is best determined by and examination. Many females feel that their breasts are saggy only to find out that they do not need a lift. In these cases a small implant can fill out the "skin brassiere". Fat grafting is an option other than an implant. Fat grafting takes multiple procedures and is limited in how much can be changed at each session. Ptosis (or sagging of the breast) is determined by the position of the nipple/areolar complex in relation to the inframammary fold (the fold under your breast). As you nipple descends the amount of ptosis is determined to be higher (1st, 2nd and 3rd degree). This will determine as to what type of mastopexy (lift) will be needed. Your best bet is to have a consultation and after an exam, you will find out what is most favorable for you.  Hope this helps.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon