Benelli Lift or Lollipop Lift with Implants?? Or is there anyway I could achieve a decent result with no lift? (photos)

I was recommended for a benelli lift with implants. After reading all the horror stories I am scared. Even though I do trust the surgeon I consulted with... Would there be any way to get a good result with just implants? Right now I barely fill up a 34 b cup. I would love to be a d to dd cup after surgery. I am 5'5 140lbs 35 yrs old and have 4 children breastfed them all. I just want to be able to feel comfortable being topless in front of my husband again!! So benelli.. Recommendations?

Benelli Lift or Lollipop Lift with Implants?? Or is there anyway I could achieve a decent result with no lift?

Thank you for your question.  If both breasts looked like the left smaller breast a dual plane submuscular breast augmentation might work well.  However you do have an asymmetry and the right breast is much lower than the left.  The right breast will require at least a lollipop lift to achieve symmetry with the left side.  I do not think a circumareolar or Benelli lift on the right will be adequate to reposition the nipple areola. For more information please read the Link below:

Implants and lift

It is likely that you might benefit from a circumareola lift with implants. Best to be evalutated in person to be sure. Good luck!

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. You have two conditions which need to be completely separately evaluated. First is the position of your breast which is droopy. Second is the volume of your breast which is deflated and small. These two issues are completely independent from each other and must be addressed separately. Clearly, you would benefit from a breast lift. This will restore the position of the breast to a more youthful location on the chest. It will not, and I repeat, will not change your existing cup size. This is no different than removing the wrapping from a present. The size of the box will not change.

Since your breasts are smaller than desired, you may wish to have an implant placed. This will necessarily increase your cup size. This will not, I repeat, will not compensate or correct your breast position. Many surgeons erroneously assume that an implant will help restore the fallen breast, which is referred to as a swing effect which, like the hand on a clock that when moving from the 6 to the 8 o'clock position, simulates a lift effect. This is a perceived effect and does not physically alter the location of the nipple and areola complex. However, with the additional weight of the implant combined with the laxity of skin, it is never a surprise when a patient comes back in a year or two with a completely fallen breast that has a like a rock in a sock like appearance. Certainly the larger the implant the more likely the breast envelope will stretch out and thin and thereby compromise your appearance, leading to further rippling and visible and palpable deformities. It's always helpful to remember that it is likely more preferable to have a small breast that looks good then a big one that doesn't.

With regard to the type of mastopexy technique, I would likely consider a lollipop technique. Although the Benelli approach limits the scar around the areola, this does not address other aspects of the excess skin that can be present. The vertical extension does allow further shaping and contouring and indeed also helps to facilitate projection of the breast as well.

I would certainly consult with a plastic surgeon who is experienced in these many issues of breast surgery who is also certified by the American Board of plastic surgeons. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Lift or No Lift

Most ladies are hesitant to undergo a lift due to the concern of scarring. In some situations there is no choice and a mastopexy (lift) is needed. Obviously an exam is necessary to determine this but from your photos there is a chance an implant alone could work.  Done as a dual plane (releasing the lower pectoralis major muscle) or placing the implant in a subglandular plane could avoid a lift. Most patients have a submuscular implant in hopes of preventing a capsular contracture (scar tissue build up around the implant). If the implant is placed above the muscle and is textured, studies have shown the capsular contracture rate is reduce almost to the level of a smooth implant below the muscle. I am not sure if you have had 3D imaging. This would be beneficial. This can show you your look with different sized implants either above or below the muscle.

Hope this helps.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Choosing type of lift

You might be satisfied with augmentation and no lift, as long as you understand that your nipples will still be a little low. Either of the two lifts you mentioned would likely work well for you. A Benelli lift, which has been modified in recent years to a technique using an interlocking pursestring suture, can be excellent IN THE RIGHT PATIENTS. This lift works well when the nipple will be raised up to an inch or so, in breasts that do not have excessive skin below the areolas and are not already large and heavy. From your photos, I would think that a circumareolar lift with implants could work very well for you, although an in-person exam is needed for the best advice. If you want more lifting than about an inch, a lollipop type of lift would work better. For the right patient (and I think that you would likely be a good candidate), the interlocking pursestring Benelli lift with implants can provide a very nice result that lasts for many years, without excessive areola stretching. Other lifts with more scars can be stronger and more lasting. The flattening that some mention with the Benelli lift does occur, which is one reason why I don't use that lift without implants, but the shape rounds out and becomes attractive if the degree of lifting and tightening is not excessive.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

As you can imagine there is no one perfect answer but in my practice I would be discussing combining a reasonably sized implant with a Benelli lift to slightly raise your nipple position and to avoid excessive widening of your areolae from the tension of your implants.  You do have the option of having the implants placed without any lift but this may lead to dissatisfaction and disappointment due to a low nipple position and wide areolae.  I am successful with my Benelli lifts by not using that procedure when in fact a full mastopexy is needed. However, raising your nipple position by approximately 1 inch is not being too aggressive and the results can be very natural looking with a small scar only.  I feel that there is benefit to avoiding the vertical incision with the use of the Benelli and if someone needs a more aggressive uplift and skin reduction I then proceeded with a full mastopexy or anchor scar.

Each plastic surgeon will have a specific experience and opinion so my best advice is for you meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon who is also a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).  Once you find someone in whom you have confidence let them use their best judgment. Best wishes for a happy and good result.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

I could achieve a decent result with no lift?

Scars after breast lift can be problematic, and the Benelli or periareolar lift can result in relapse due to the pressure of the implant with nipple stretching and return of breast droop. You might try the pencil test to see if the center of the nipple is above the breast fold. If it is implants alone might raise the nipple without the lift, and you can also consider implants now, and reconsider a lift in a year if the shape does not sort out well. Good luck.

Lift or no lift

This is a great question and one that is common to many women.

It's impossible to make a specific recommendation without examining you in person, but here are some things to think about:

Benelli lifts can be problematic because they place a lot of tension on the incision around the nipple - this can cause poor scarring, widened areolas, and flattening of the breast. It's hard to truly reshape the breast with a Benelli type lift, and in our practice, we mostly use vertical (lollipop) skin incisions.

Sometimes a "deflated" breast will be improved enough with implants alone that a women might not need a lift. If nipple position is good, there isnt too much overhang of breast tissue over the crease, and it's just more of a deflation problem, sometimes a carefully placed dual-plane or even subglandular (on top of muscle) implant will do the trick without a lift.

Best wishes-

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, the best shape and contour could be achieved with an implant and a wise pattern breast lift.  I do not ever recommend a Bennelli lift.  Over time, the areola tends to enlarge with a thickened scar.  The other even worse problem is that it flattens out the shape of the anterior breast over time.  A wise pattern lift with an implant can result in a very nice shape if good technique is used.    The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Without an in-person evaluation, it is hard to comment but it is possible that a dual plane technique may avoid a lift. One option is to do the augmentation and see if a lift is needed 1 year later. See link below for examples.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS