How long does a PS keep patient records after BA and lift surgery? How do you obtain records if PS is unwilling allow access?

Medical records

Most surgeons will keep records for a period of 5-10 years, rules and regulations depend on the state. Regardless, your medical records belong to you and you can and should be able to obtain copies of them whenever you want.

Medical Records

Most surgeons keep records 10 plus years.  Your records belong to you, and you should be able to get a copy with a written request.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Medical records

Most states I think require doctors to keep them for 7-10 years and minors even longer.  You should have access to your records by signing a release. Best of luck.

Medical records belong to you

After 7 years from closure of a practice, records are no longer kept but if the practice is still active, the doctor is required to provide your records as long as you sign a release form. Sometimes, doctors' staff are reluctant to get old records because it is a time consuming bother, especially if you want them to go somewhere else. Still, they are required to get them.

Ask for them

I would request a release of information.  If it is just the implant info, you maybe able to get them from the manufacturer.Best Wishes,Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Request the records through an attorney

I have all my records from the last 16 years because I plan to be in practice for another 24 years. Surgeons near the end of their careers have a tendency to destroy records.  They are required to keep them for 7 years. There is no such possibility that the surgeon can deny you access to your records.  Have them requested by your attorney.