Two week post op okay to sleep on side and play volleyball ?

Quick question? I love volleyball and play on leagues is it OK I am 17 days post op and played a little volleyball last night and felt great and in no pain now?... and I currently found that sleeping on my side feels so much better sleeping in my back ??

Talk to your plastic surgeon

Typically, I restrict women from engaging in strenuous physical exercise for 4 to 6 weeks from your date of surgery. At 2 weeks post-op, you are still within that timeframe where playing volleyball may not be advisable. You may be fine sleeping on your side though. Still, it’s best to put both questions to your plastic surgeon and strictly follow his or her recommendation. Delaying your return to volleyball may be worthwhile to ensure that you achieve the best results from your breast augmentation.

Physical activity 2 weeks after breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question!  I would recommend contacting your plastic surgeon and getting their recommendation on when you can return to physical activity like volleyball.  I would recommend sleeping however is most comfortable to you.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Activities after augmentation

Congratulations on your augmentation, krose44! Everyone recovers differently and it really depends on what kind of augmentation you had, meaning if the implants were under the muscle or not. Sometimes increased activity with one arm more than the other can lead to unmasking new pain. If the breast looks different and feels different, it is important to maintain follow up with your doctor and have your concerns addressed in person as well. A supportive bra can help but you should check with your doctor if they would be fine with you being in a bra. Most people would say if it hurts, don't do it! Try to listen to your body and go from there. Best of luck, MMT

The main reason most plastic surgeons have patients avoid strenuous activity for a period of time after surgery has to do with bleeding risk.  If you've already done it and didn't have any issues, you are probably OK, but I would check in with your doctor before your next event.  Good luck!

Paul H. Rhee, MD, FACS
Castle Rock Plastic Surgeon

Don't resume athletic activity after breast augmentation without consulting with your surgeon.

In my own practice you would not be permitted to resume volleyball for at least one month after breast augmentation. You should have checked with your surgeon before engaging in this activity.

Physical activity

Dear krose44,
At this point sleeping however you are most comfortable is reasonable, but the thought of you playing volleyball made me shudder! Be really careful with physical activity for at least the next couple of weeks. It is not worth the complications. Every surgeon has different restrictions. If they are fine with physical activity at this point htey might not have had to treat hematomas at 3 and 4 weeks out like I have.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Activity

Thank you for your question. Patients with a desk job can may return to work within one week of breast augmentation surgery. I suggest waiting four to six  weeks before returning to strenuous physical activity, such as volleyball. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding implant massage and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Volley ball and sleeping on my side

I will preface my comments by saying that I feel as though I am more conservative then some of my colleagues. Also, I don't know how your surgery was performed or what type of implants you have. I recommend my patients to avoid any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for at least 4-6 weeks. In my opinion, I think playing volleyball only after 17 days from your surgery is way too soon. I tell my patients that although I understand it is hard to limit activity for 6 weeks, in the long run 6 weeks is just a snap shot of your entire life! Taking it easy for 4-6 weeks is worth it if it can give you the best result and decrease the risk of complications.

I also tell my patients to avoid sleeping on their sides for at least 6 weeks because people don't sleep evenly on their sides. So if you sleep more on one side than the other you can have some asymmetry between the breasts.

I think the best thing to do is to seek the recommendations of your plastic surgeon. You should be honest with him/her and ask them these same questions and then follow their recommendations.

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Exercise

In my practice I would tend to be a little more conservative in mobilising you postop. Saying that I place more anatomical implants than round. I would check with your PS. If you have round implants then exercising after 2 weeks is not as much an issue compared to anatomical implants.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. I would recommend speaking to your plastic surgeon as every surgeon has their own protocols. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD