How do you know if the size you choose with Breast augmentation is right?

Have surgery coming up and I chose a 450cc and 475cc. I normally have a 36 c breast, but i dont want to be huge by all means, just want full breasts after having 3 kids. i want to be a c still what size would you suggest.

How to size a breast for augmentation?

Very very good question. I seriously spend about 15 minutes just talking to patients about size. So here is a blurb of what I say to patients. Sizing is so multifactorial, but the most important facts are the actual measurements we take at the consultation. After that it is about what kind of a look you are trying to obtain and what volume you think you would like. I ask patients to give me a range of sizes they like because once in the operating room the implant can look very different in the breast pocket than it does stuffing a bra with an implant in the office. Sorry for this long response but read it. I think it helps put sizing in perspective. 

In my opinion sizing a patient for implants can be simplified. Sizing is not about a number. In fact, I do not even discuss numbers with my patients. If a patient walks through the door and says they want x-cc implants I have to educate them about how sizing works. The best analogy I can relate this to is buying shoes. When you go to buy shoes how do you do that? First you start with the size your foot is right? So if your foot is a 6.5 you try on all kinds of 6.5 size shoes. Some may be tall, some might be flat, and some might be somewhere in between. You would never try to buy a size 8 shoe because it would be too big for your foot right? Breast sizing is the exact same way. Implants come in several different profiles that are like different heights of shoes. Implants can be low profile, moderate profile, or high profile. There are even implants that are higher than high. That would be your high platform shoe. Each implant style give you a different look. Now, your breast has a defined width that we call the base diameter of the breast. This would be analogous to the show size. Your breast base diameter never changes. It is what it is. So now, you can choose several different style of implants that fit the number of your breast base diameter. That really narrows down what implant is best for you. So once you know your breast base diameter you can try the low, moderate, high or really high implants on. The only think you have to decide is which look you are going for. You would never put an implant that is 13 centimeters wide in a patient whose base diameter is 10 centimeters. Half the implant would be in the armpit. So, this is very simple to me. My patients get a few choices that fit their breast and that is it. I will not put an implant in a patient that is too wide for their body because it will harm them over time. Hope this helps.

Choosing the Right Size for Breast Augmentation

Choosing a size for breast augmentation is dependent on many variables including the patient’s height and weight, tissue thickness and elasticity, base width of the breasts, patient desires and preexisting amount of natural tissue. This is a very difficult question to answer without seeing the patient in person and taking measurements. As a result, I would suggest that multiple ways of determining the right size should be used, including preoperative sizing in a bra to get a sense of what you would look like with that volume. I personally also like to have my patients look on my website and pick their favorite before and after photos so I can get a visual sense of what they are shooting for.

Ultimately, breast augmentation is an art form, and there is no perfect or exact right size for any patient. However, if multiple points of data can be used to select an implant that is appropriately sized and in the range of what you are hoping for as the final result, you will likely be very happy. If you have second thoughts about your size, I advise you discuss this with your surgeon before surgery and potentially try sizing again to make certain that you and your surgeon are on the same page.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Right size?

Hi and thanks for your question. It is very important you talk to your plastic surgeon before the surgery and get convinced with the volume. I always try external sizers to my patients and according with some measures find the adecuate implant for them. It´s known with 250/300cc yor cup is going to change. Ask for before and after photos of cases like yours. It would had been good if you had posted some photos to see your before.

Dr. Milla

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation / Saline Breast Implants / Silicone Implants

Thank you for your question. Before you make your final decision on size and shape of implants I would suggest that you meet again with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon again and go over your concerns and why you feel a specific implant would give you the results you desire. Your surgeon should be able to explain to you why they are recommending the size they are according to your current breast measurements including your chest width and your desired outcome. Your Surgeon should be able to advise you thoroughly on your options.

We have all our Breast Augmentation patients not only utilize our 3D imaging so they can get a real visual on what the implants will look like on them but also to actually try on the different size implants with a tight bra and t-shirt to see what they might expect. That way they have a good visual of what a 450cc implant will do as opposed to a 350cc implant for example. You want to make sure that you see a surgeon that will listen to you and your goals for the procedure and discuss in detail their recommendation for size and shape not only taking into consideration your desired outcome but also your breast measurements before the procedure including your chest dimensions. And then let you try the implants that they feel will give you the desired result so you are in agreement with the size.

Selecting a breast implant size.

Thank you for your question.  I can understand your uncertainty especially if you wish to remain a C cup size. Without seeing you in person it's impossible to state with certainty however the implant sizes you chose would very likely make you go from a C cup to a full or mid D cup.   If you selected those sizes by wearing the implants in your bra then this may be a good choice for you.
My preferred method is to get a good mental picture of the patient's goals (photos, discussion, etc) and IF realistic use my best judgment during the surgery to select the ideal implant.  This is based on what I consider to be more accurate such as placing a sizer or test implant, sitting the patient asleep partially upright and seeing what best matches her goals both in terms of size and contour.  I never preselect my implant size for a patient even though I could usually guess with accuracy 85-90% of the time.  Why commit until I actually have an idea of how the implant will sit and look?  Again, discuss choices carefully with your surgeon and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Choosing implant size

It is not possible to give a good answer without measurements and physical examination.  Having said that, you would have to be fairly tall and fairly broad chested with very little breast tissue of your own to end up a 36C after a 450 mL or 475 mL augmentation.  Trying to fill up loose skin with a breast implant is frequently an unsuccessful undertaking without a mastopexy.  I would recommend that you discussed your goals with your surgeon carefully and even try on some implants in your surgeon's office.

Choosing a breast implant size

If your issue is that you are droopy and you want to be the same size and you want to be less droopy than a mastopexy would fulfill your expectations. If you want to restore superior breast fullness, that will require an implant That would mean your breast would have to be larger than a C cup. I cannot tell you how many cup sizes a 450cc implant would represent on you without knowing your specific measurements

If you do not to want to be much larger than you are currently and still want to achieve superior pole fullness, you will need placement of an implant along with removal of some of your native breast tissue.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

How to choose a size of implant

Thank you for your question. A good way to get an idea of what volume (cc's) implant would be best for you is to "test drive" some implants. These are non sterile implants that your surgeon will have in various sizes. I typically have a bag that I treat like a library book and people can check out a bag to try on implants in the privacy of their own home and try them on with different tops or dresses to get an idea of what they might look like. The implant is simply placed within a bra. Now, this is not a perfect predictor, but it can narrow down a wide variety of implant volumes to a smaller range that would work best and flatter you.  The surgeon can then have a range of implants available on the day of surgery to provide you with the size that works best for you.  Some practices have imaging that can alter the photo to make it look larger with different size implants. Sometimes this is helpful, sometimes not. 
I think the "Test drive " concept is very helpful for my patients.

Michael Morrissey, MD

Size of Implants

Thank you for your question. The size and projection of the implant is an important decision, that will most affect the results of a breast augmentation, so it is important to spend plenty of time during the consultation speaking with your surgeon about choosing the right implant size. In order to maintain proportion, it is important to take into account a patient’s height, weight, body frame, hip and shoulder width, in addition to the amount of breast tissue the patient already has. Shorter and more petite patients will need a smaller sized implant compared to a patient with a broader frame. There are limits to how big one may go; a patient’s current breast tissue needs to be ample to cover the implant, and the patient’s chest and shoulder width needs to be able to accommodate the width of the implant. For patients with disproportionate issues, it is also quite common for women to have different implant sizes for each breast to achieve symmetrical results.

I personally recommend choosing a size that you’ve always pictured for yourself, as long as it is within the limits of what is safe for your body type. Regardless, breast augmentation surgery will only be successful if the patient achieves the breast and body proportions they seek. Meet with your plastic surgeon and try on different sizers, even if you have already done this as your PS would rather you be happy with the implants you choose than have you not satisfied with your results. Good luck!

Kamran Azad, MD
Pasadena Physician

If you choose the size, there is a significant likelihood it will not be correct. The best way to get what you want is to show the surgeon photos that you like of before and after augment patients that have a body and breasts similar to your preop look. It should be the surgeon's job to then decide what it will take to get you there. He should be doing this several hundred times a year, you have never even seen the surgery. Who do you think is best qualified to make that decisionh

Ronald V. DeMars, MD