Is it normal to have Sternum pain 9 days after BA that just started out of clear blue?

I had a Mommy Makeover 9 days ago. I am having complications with the Tummy part of the procedure that my surgeon and I are working on but the breasts seemed to be fine until an hour ago. I have pain in the sternum that just appeared and doesn't feel like it's going anywhere anytime soon..Is this normal ?

Post op sternum pain

This doesn't sound normal. Especially since it popped up out of the blue. Call your surgeon and let him or her know. You will probably need to have it assessed in person.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sternal pain after mommy makeover.

Pain on the chest wall most certainly could be the result of the breast augmentation. Nevertheless this is a complaint that should be passed on to your own surgeon.

Mommy make-over - sternal pain after 9 days

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• I am so sorry you are having complications from your surgery.
  • You need to let your surgeon know of the sternal pain.
  • It is not normal after surgery and you should be examined.
  • Call your surgeon to ask if s/he should see you or your regular doctor -
  • Or if you should go to the ER.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

9 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its too early to talk about final results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Sternal Pain

Thank you for your question. It is unusual to suddenly develop sternal pain 9 days post op. I would recommend you be evaluated to ensure this is not cardiac in origin. It most likely is not, but better to be safe. I would also recommend you contact your surgeon. Best of luck

Mommy Makeover - Sternum Pain?

Thank you for your question. It is uncommon to develop sudden onset sternal pain nine days following breast augmentation. I think it is safest to have an in-person examination by your plastic surgeon. However, if the pain continues to worsen I would go to your local ER to rule out more serious causes. Hope you feel better soon.

Sorry to hear that you're having a rough experience so far.  If you have new onset sharp pain under your sternum, you should contact your surgeon as soon as possible.  Although this may be just some irritation or pain associated with surgery, you should check with your surgeon just to rule out anything else.  Good luck in your recovery.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  Without photographs to offer a better recommendation I would reach out to your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  While this may be the pain of surgery, swelling, or irritation to your ribs, more serious causes should also be ruled out for safety.