Is there a procedure to lower the septum?

Hi. So I'm not talking about a fix for deviation, but the angle at which the septum connects to the upper lip. Entirely cosmetic. Is there a procedure wherein the septum is pulled down to create a softer angle where it connects to the lip? Is that a thing? :)

Since you did not include a photo, I am assuming you are talking about the columellar-labial angle of the nose. This is the angle between your lip and the skin that splits the nostrils. In a female the ideal angle is about 105 degrees and a male about 90 degrees. It sounds like your angle is a bit acute (less than 105). In that case it can be manipulated by augmenting this area with cartilage that you "steal" from the septum back inside the nose (where you do not need it). If the problem is the opposite then the present septum in this area is trimmed back. This is commonly done with Rhinoplasties. Hope this makes sense and helps you understand better.  

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Lowering the septum

There is a procedure to correct this. The base of the septum can be trimmed when it is too low, to allow the upper lip to recoil back up into a more natural position.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. A caudal septal cartilage can accomplish, if properly performed.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Septal issue

If the septum is too low the caudal ( lower septum) can be reduced to improve this area. Best of luck.

Lengthening the septum with a septal extension graft.

Lengthening the septum with a septal extension graft will give you what you want. Look at my before/after photos of revision of the short pig nose to see the results.

Pulling the columella down

There are a number ways that the septum and columella could be pulled down to improve the relationship between the nose and the lip.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon