Will my new implants be too big?

I was a 32A and I got implants that made me a 34c, I had to kids and they kind of stretched and sag now so I am getting new ones, will a 690cc implant be to big?

This depends on your breast/chest dimensions and desired goals of your upcoming surgery. If you are not postpartum, discussing the possibility of a lift at the same time or how not performing a lift may affect your outcome.

Breast Implant Revision/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Picking the best size for breast implants is difficult

The most difficult decision in breast implant surgery, either primary and secondary (remove and replace) is choosing the best size implant.  There are many variables to consider; chest size, height, current breast volume and shape, skin envelope, patient expectations, surgeon's experience, type of implant, location of implant, etc.  So, the actual volume of the implant is difficult to determine without a detailed consultation with measurements, photographs, looking at before and after pictures.  A 690 cc implant may be just right for your situation, please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in breast implant surgery.Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Will my new implants be too big; revisionary breast surgery?

Thank you for the question.   You will find that online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific advice in regards to selection of specific breast implant size/profile. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals will be critical.  Keep in mind, as you consider your situation (specifically your physical examination) and goals, that adjustment of the breast implant pockets and/or breast lifting may be necessary.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup” or "too big" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on   who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate. 
   3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers).  Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select  the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Maybe a mastopexy would be better

Breast Lift with Implants or Implants Alone One of the more common scenarios that we as aesthetic plastic surgeons deal with in cosmetic breast surgery is the patient from either weight loss, or post pregnancy has a little bit of drop of the breast off of the chest wall that we call ptosis. The question then becomes in the patient's mind, can we just fill the space with an implant and create a youthful looking breast. It all depends on what the patient's perception of youthful is. My patients, more than likely, would like to have upper pole fullness of the breast without the necessity for wearing a push-up bra. In these situations, a breast lift plus an implant both centers the nipple and areola complex on the breast while replacing the lost volume with an implant. Most patients’ hesitation in doing the breast lift as well as implants, are the potential for bad scars. In my experience, we talk a lot about the scars of a breast lift preoperatively, but hardly ever in the postoperative phase. It seems to me, that when the breast is up high on the chest wall, youthful and perky, that one does not even see the scars. Most of the time, these incision lines heal uneventfully anyway. In the small chance that the scars are more red or thicker than one would like, we have many options in lasers, light sources, and laser assisted drug delivery techniques to mitigate against unsightly scars. Sometimes, patients who I've seen have seen other physicians who have recommended simply placing a large implant to "fill the space". This seems to be a very temporary fix for the situation in that the stretched out soft tissue that the implant is placed into, usually will allow very rapid descent of the breast, such that in just a few months, it looks like a bigger version of the breast that they first started with. They will then sometimes have a secondary mastopexy, and at that time, I would often recommend that they replace the very large implant with a smaller one. In my opinion, a large lift, meaning taking out as much of the stretched out skin as possible, and placing a more modest size implant will make a breast that will remain perky and up on the chest wall for a long period of time. In my opinion, perky breasts, not necessarily large breasts, look youthful. Patients will then ask, "why then does Dr. so-and-so tell me that I can just have implants?" My answer to this is very simple. It is far easier in most plastic surgeons’ skill sets to place a large implant then do a breast lift with an implant. The simultaneous lift and implant procedure is a little more challenging in that you're trying to do opposite things at the same time. One, you're trying to make the skin envelopes smaller and at the same time make the breast larger. One easy way to decide whether a lift is good for you, is to see your image in 3-D on a Vectra camera system. In our office, we can then compare two images: one with mastopexy with implants and the other with implants alone. In that way, both the patient and plastic surgeon can see what the difference in the look of both procedures are. Usually when implant is placed only, and a breast lift was really needed, what the patient will see is a breast that is falling off of a properly placed mound that's higher in the chest wall than the breast is. The breast seems to be falling off the implant. They will commonly squeeze the end part of their breast and ask,  “why hasn't the implant filled this space out?” For me, the in between operation is to use a tall shaped implant. These anatomically shaped implants can create the illusion, that although the nipple has not really been raised, that the nipple is now more centered on the breast. While these implants do cost more than round implants, it still less expensive than adding a breast lift. All things considered, it's best to consult with a few talented and busy cosmetic breast surgeons to get different opinions. Good luck with your decision.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS