Will stretched areola return to normal/pre-surgical appearance with time? (photos)

I am 3 wks post op from a breast lift & augmentation (300cc low profile silicone under the muscle). FYI, I had had a bilateral breast reduction surgery about 13 yrs ago. Pre-surgery my areola was smaller, and my nipples were often erect, and seemed to absorb the areola making it smaller still. Post op the areola is quite stretched, and my nipple flattens a lot. Will this return to normal with time? Or should I expect my areola to be permanently larger than it used to be? Thanks in advance.

Will stretched areola return to normal/pre-surgical appearance with time?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue..

Implants expand the tissues and the areola may stay a bit stretched. Over time as they settle, they may become slightly smaller.

Placing a breast implant may increase the diameter of the areola to some degree depending on the laxity of the tissue around the nipple/areola.  However, it is not unusual to loss some of the erectile function of the nipple immediately post op, as well, and this too can contribute to this effect.  With time the smooth muscle in the nipple may regain its function and decrease this effect.  At just three weeks post op it is still quite early and nipple erection may return in the coming weeks.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon