Gortex Nose Implant Infection?

Hello, It's been a little over 3 months since I had my revision rhinoplasty. I think I have an infection from the gortex implant that was used for a columellar strut. My nose is so painful, I have redness and it is so swollen. I look like a pig now. I had my surgery overseas and I am living in the states. Do I need to go to a plastic surgeon in my area to get a prescription? is it too soon to take out the implant? Will my tip collapse? Please help..I'm terrified my nose won't heal right

Doctor Answers 4

Gore-tex implant infection?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. I would recommend having your nose examined by a board certified rhinoplasty specialist as soon as possible, as it sounds like you have an infection. He or she will be able to see you in person and provide you with advice, and give you antibiotics. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Infected Gortex Nasal Implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like your implant is infected which will be treated with antibiotics and usually removal of the Gortex. Over the past 35 years I've used the patient's own cartilage because this is a possible complication following placement of these types of implants.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Gortex Infection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Definitely sounds like your gortex is infected. It needs to come out ASAP and you need to be on antibiotics.



Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 285 reviews

Gortex nasal implant infection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have a nasal infection from your gortex implant then more than likely antibiotics will not help and you will need the implant removed. Best to see a doctor.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.