When will the square look go away? 9 days post BA. (photos)

I have 750cc, smooth round HP, silicone implants. It's only been 9 days since surgery, but read that larger implants take more time to settle (drop and fluff) is it still 6-8 weeks or a lot longer until the square look goes away?

Implants

Once the implants descend more into the pocket, the squareness should improve. Best of luck..........

Breasts

thank you for your question and pictures.  It will take at least 6-8 weeks for the implants to settle but as you can see with your pictures, just at 1 week they are much better positioned than at the day after.  I have my patients do massages to help the process.  Ask you PS if he recommends the massages also.  So far so good!

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

When will my implants settle and look less square?

Thanks for the question.  When implants are much larger than the breasts initially, they will occupy a space both above the nipple areola location as well as to fit beyond the outside width and the inner edge of the breast tissue.  If breast implants will settle to a lower position the time for this to occur will always take longer than expected, perhaps months in length. A smaller sized implant that actually fits the width, height and lower length of the breast should happen in a shorter amount of time, sometimes as short as a month or so, and in the case of a true gummy bear, form stable, textured implant this process may be controlled by the surgeon, more accurately fitting the position of the implant to be settled at the end of the operation.  If you have any further questions about this, feel free to ask your operating Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Postop Breast Augmentation

Jenn.  I appreciate your concern, but it is way too early to worry. Your body needs to accommodate to your implants, and after the muscle and skin start relaxing, your result will continue to improve. It may take 3-6 months. Follow up with your surgeon and try to stay patient. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

When will the square look go away? 9 days post BA.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your procedure.  It appears that you will have a nice result.  The square look is as a result of the implant being compressed by the swelling taking place in your breast skin, breast tissue and chest muscle.  This causes the implants to be flattened and ride high on women's chests.  As the swelling resolves you should see the square look diminish and soften to leave a more natural appearance.  As 750cc implants are large I would allow more time to pass for "dropping and fluffing" to take place.  Hang in there.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

9 days post BA

You are only 9 days away from your surgery and expectedly swollen. The swelling will progressively subside over the next several months. With that the implants should drop and improve the square look you describe. Best bet is to follow up with your surgeon so that they may monitor your progress and be sure your postop course is on track.

Post Op Care

You will take a few weeks to a month to completely drop. If your surgeon has you doing breast exercise do these daily to help settle faster. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Is Square Shape After Breast Augmentation Normal? #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

• It takes months to see your final results after breast augmentation.
  • 750 cc implants are very large implants, and therefore at only 9 days after your breast augmentation it is expected that the implants will be riding quite high.  Additionally, the shape you see now will look much different as time goes by.
  • It takes time for the implants to stretch the lower pole breast skin.  With time, the implants will settle into place, and your breast shape will look more natural. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets causing them to look a little smaller and more natural.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. Wearing your surgical bra as directed and performing breast massages can also help speed up your recovery. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. Your breasts should look and feel more natural around 6-8 weeks post op. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon