I'm considering liposuction and I want an idea of where to start looking for doctors in the Chicago area. Any recommendations?
Good Doctors for Liposuction in Chicago, IL Area?
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 10
Liposuction Expert, Chicago
In Dr. Wiener’s practice, it is not liposuction, it is “Liposelection”. Liposelection (by using the VASER (™) is a new and very different way to remove unwanted fat from almost any part of the body, that is as gentle as it is effective. This revolutionary new procedure offers exceptional results and rapid healing, and is an alternative to the harsh techniques of traditional liposuction. Liposelection uses state-of-the-art ultrasound technology to reshape your body. Since it is more tissue selective than traditional liposuction, damage to connective tissue is minimized. There is less bruising and swelling than traditional liposuction and recovery is faster. In addition, more fat can be removed with smoother results and more contraction of the overlying skin when compared to traditional liposuction.
The treatment is done utilizing tiny incisions in inconspicuous spots. A solution is injected (tumescent approach) to facilitate fat removal and minimize bruising. The ultrasonic treatment (Liposelection) is then done. Liquefied fat is then removed.
After surgery, there will be some degree of swelling with the possibility of mild bruising. A form-fitting surgical garment is worn for several weeks to minimize swelling and optimize contour. Patients are encouraged to walk as soon as possible, and most return to work within one week (depending on the area treated). More strenuous activities can be resumed in 4-6 weeks.
Finding the Right Surgeon?
Thank you for the question.
I am sure there are many well-qualified plastic surgeons in your area. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. The surgeons will generally be well-versed in a variety of procedures that may be indicated based on your examination and goals.
I hope this helps.
Choosing a plastic surgeon for liposuction
For many choosing a plastic surgeon for liposuction or for any cosmetic procedure for that matter can be a daunting process. We always recommend that you select a surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and you can locate them in your community through the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Many practices grow by 'word of mouth' and you may have friends that can help you get started. The Internet today is also a good way to locate and preview cosmetic surgery practices in your area. After you have met with a surgeon you should feel that the surgeon you have selected can clearly explain any procedure, and feel that they are listening and looking out for your interest, and is in pursuit of the best result possible. There are many 'brands' of liposuction, and in skilled hands no one machine or technique is better than another. After your visit you should have a sense of concern, safety and commitment to see you through. If you don't, keep looking.
Best of luck,
You might also like...
Liposuction, tummy tuck, fat graft
Liposuction should be performed properly by surgeons who are members of the ASPS which by definition means they have completed the Board Certification process. Beyond that a patient should meet with a Plastic Surgeon for a consult to see if expectations are realistic given their body and medical issues.
Liposuction in Chicago
First of all, you should go to a Board Certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in cosmetic surgery. (Please understand that a dermatologist is not a plastic surgeon and does not have anywhere near the training in cosmetic surgery). I'd suggest you contact Dr. Placik for an evaluation.
Chicago Liposuction surgeon
You may wish to schedule a consultation with either or both Dr. Ed Lack and Dr. George Kouris. Often surgeons have different approaches, techniques and offer different types of anesthesia (local and possibly sedation or more). Good luck.
Find a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust, have seen some of his/her results (photos or patients), and, if you wish, have been able to speak with a former patient. Be wary of guarantees, claims that you can return to work in one or two days, and prices that are much lower than the national averages.
You should look at a few criteria:
1) make sure your chosen surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon
2) make sure that you like his work by looking at his patient gallery
3) see if you like him/her during your consultation
4) ask for patient testimonals ic necessary
How to pick a plastic surgeon for liposuction.
How to pick a plastic surgeon for liposuction.
Answer by George J. Beraka, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.
2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.
3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?
4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique. Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?
5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.
6) Ask to speak to a patient who has had the procedure you want. You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want. Many patients are eager to share their experience. Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.
7) If you are having breast augmentation, ask if the surgeon has a large inventory of different size and shape breast implants available in the operating room. A surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery will have an inventory. This way, the final implant choice does not have to be made in advance.
8) With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED. Very important safety assurance.
9) Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST. Another very important safety factor.
10) Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care. This can really speed recovery.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.