What's a Good Cosmetic Treatment for the Eye Area?

I'm 33 years old with a light skin complexion. I have a few fine lines (smile lines) and a lot of really tiny bumps under the eyes (which I don't think it's milia), where the eyes appear hollow. Besides that, my skin texture under the eyes are not even anymore. My question is: What's the best under eye non-invasive cosmetic treatment for a 33 year old woman who's experiencing the first signs of aging? Is fraxel a good choice? Thank you!

Under eye treatments

It is hard to answer your question without a picture but it appears that you are mostly describing issues with lack of elasticity of the skin.  This can be improved with certain lasers like the DOT fractionated laser or Erbium:Yag Laser depending on the severity.  There are some night creams that MAY help but a consultation with your local plastic surgeon should answer this.  Lastly, the hollowing you are describing may be treated in some cases with lower eyelid injection of a hyaluronic acid filler like Restylane or Juvederm or Belotero.  Sometimes a hollow at the  lower lid cheek junction is more a sign of fulllness of fatty tissue in the lower lid and a blepharoplasty would be best.

Replenish creams for the eyelid skin

Our office specializes in non surgical facial treatments. We would recommend Melapeels to the face alongside Retinoid creams such as Replenish to help improve the skin around the eyes. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Best non invasive cosmetic treatment for under eyes

You mention you have a light skin complexion a few smile lines and a lot of really tiny bumps under eyes. You also mention hollowness and uneven texture. For first signs of aging I would recommend starting with a medical grade gentle peel for texture improvement and Restylane dermal filler to improve hollowness and fill in fine lines. You may also want to ask the medical professional doing your peel if your current eye cream is too heavy and maybe clogging your pores under your eyes. There are eye creams that come in gel formulas. 

Eye area problems - some solutions

The bumps are likely syringoma. Treatment option include chemical peels or ablative laser - but this will depend on your skin coloring as to the specific option..

Hollowing will not be affected by Fraxel or other laser as that particular problem is related to volume loss. Under eye hollowing is effectively corrected with Restylane and sometimes other hyaluronic gels.

Skin texture will improve with either laser or chemical peels. There are also certain skin care programs that do definitely make a difference in over all skin texture.

Proper rest, hydration and sun protection all have an effect on your skin's appearance, so be sure you are consistently taking care of yourself both from the outside in and inside out.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

Skin texture and cosmetic treatment for eye area

When you are in your 30's the best treatment is prevention! Start with using a good SPF every day to prevent the visible signs of aging.  That being said, it is important to use good skin care products, especially under the eye area.  I would also suggest Fraxel to treat the tone and texture of your skin or some light chemical peels depending on your skin type.  The most important thing to remember is to find an experienced dermatologist who understands cosmetic dermatology.

E-Matrix Skin Tightening Treatment

I would recommend a series of E-Matrix skin tightening treatments.  The E-matrix is not a laser, it uses radiofrequency energy.  The Radiofrequency energy generates fractional deep dermal heating in the region of the electrode matrix to induce skin deep heat and fractional injury, thus eliciting a wound healing response. Less affected tissue surrounding the matrix points may be stimulated by heat, which helps accelerate the healing process and leads to a tighter, rejuvenated appearance of the skin.  E-Matrix can help with wrinkles, skin laxity and also skin texture.  E-Matrix sounds like a great fit for you.  It is best if you can do a series of 6 treatments but you will notice improvement with every one.

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon