Would I be a good candidate for breast reduction?

I'm 24 years old 5'7 and I weigh 200 my bra size is 40 DDD my neck and back hurts all the time if I'm standing for periods of time.. I keep heat rashes under and between my breast

Candidates for Breast Reduction

Candidates for #BreastReduction surgery are women who wish to have smaller #breasts to achieve a more proportional appearance or to alleviate physical discomfort. Breast reduction can correct symptoms from excessively #largeheavybreasts that may cause the inability to do certain exercises, or create back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap shoulder indentations and chafing or rashes under the breasts. Women experiencing these discomforts may benefit from Breast Reduction, also called #ReductionMammoplasty. Furthermore, large breasts may interfere with normal daily activities or exercise and will be more comfortable when reduced. Women who feel that their excessive breast size decreases a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, or results in unwanted attention are also candidates.

Large breasts (#macromastia) or #breast hypertrophy can occur in a variety of conditions (family trait, post pregnancy, excessive adolescent growth). In general when the excessive #breast size causes functional problems, insurance will generally pay for the operation if more than 400 – 500 grams are removed from each breast dependent on your individual i company requirements. These problems may include neck pain, back or shoulder pain, hygiene difficulty, and breast pain. Other problems which are less likely to be covered by insurance include skin irritation, skeletal deformity, breathing problems, psychological/emotional problems, and interference with normal daily activities. Pre-authorization by the insurance company is required prior to surgery, and the process takes approximately one month. Each insurance policy has different guidelines and exclusions.

Breast reduction candidate

It sounds like you are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery.  I suggest you consult with a plastic surgeon who is an expert in breast reduction surgery to determine your best options.  Good luck. 

David Stoker, MD

Candidate for reduction?

You are a candidate if your weight is stable... and your breasts are heavy enough to qualify for insurance coverage.  Realize that if your breasts are too small for your frame, it will look odd.  And as mentioned by Dr. Rosen, if you are able to lose weight, you will have a better outcome if you do.  Also understand when the breasts are reduced, if you have a significant roll on the side of your chest, it will become much more obvious.

Curtis Wong, MD

Candididate for a breast reduction

You are a candidate for a breast reduction but if you were planning on losing any weight, try to do that before the procedure. Sometimes that is difficult due to the large size of the breasts. A lot of insurance companies require you to be under 180 pounds if trying for insurance coverage. I suggest you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs the procedure regularly.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon