Would I Be a Good Candidate for Asian Double Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

I'm 17 right now, but when i turn 18 i plan on getting Double eyelid surgery to widen my eyes, I'm NOT asian but because of my eyes I guess i give off that appearance. Would asian double eyelid surgery work for me? or would another procedure work? Also who would be the best Doctor in Orlando that specializes in these types of procedures?

Doctor Answers 6

Asian eyelid surgery for a non asian person

In general you can use asian eyelid surgery to improve asian characteristics depending on what you want. If you are missing a double eyelid fold then recreating this fold can give your more of a caucasian appearance. Epicanthal folds can also be changed to appear more caucasian and open the eye more in the horizontal direction. I would wait until your 18 before considering this obviously and even still I would consult with your parents and people that are close to you. I would also suggest getting multiple opinions as well, like at least 5 or more plastic surgeons.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 84 reviews

Double eyelid surgery

I can see what you are saying.  There are a number of good surgeons in Orlando who can give you the changes you are looking for for your eyes.  My recommendations is to wait until you're eighteen and then do you research, get consultations, etc.  Between now and the time you're of age the providers in your area may have changed and you may have  gone away for school.  A closer photo of your eyes with you sitting up looking straight ahead would help the assessment.

Best of luck

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Asian eyelid surgery can work for non-Asians

Patients with hooded upper lids or "mongolian folds" are good candidates for surgical correction. Patients with Native American ancestry frequently are seen with this type of eye and can have the eyes altered surgically. In California patients under the age of 18 require parental accompaniment so I'll withhold individual comments on your case.

Charles S. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Candidate for Asian eyelid surgery?

  I like to formulate my intended reply before I see what others have advised.  In this case, I agree completely with the advice others have given.  Photos are NEVER a substitute for an in person consultation and in this case, the photo supplied really is inadequate to tell.  From the look of it, I cannot tell whether surgery would be an option for you.  But I am located in the Tampa Bay area and would be happy to see you in person if you are so inclined.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 131 reviews

Would I Be a Good Candidate for Asian Double Eyelid Surgery?

It's hard to tell from this photo if a double eyelid procedure would be the surgical procedure you need to widen your eyes. A closer photograph in repose (at rest without elevating your eyebrows) would be more helpful.  You do not have to be Asian to have double eyelid procedure. The goal of the double eyelid procedure is to create or define a crease. Your best bet is to have your eyelids evaluated by an experienced surgeon.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

You have the right idea.

However, the photo you have provided is not so good.  A close up without the hat would be very helpful.  A personal consultation is more to the point.  It is tuff to tell in these photos but it looks like you have right upper eyelid ptosis.  The important issue is that you find yourself a highly competent, ethical oculoplastic surgeon who knows how to deal with upper eyelid ptosis.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory that will help you find a well qualified surgeon (asoprs dot org).

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.