I want to get a mommy makeover but a have a hernia mesh. What surgeons do you know that can do it?

The hernia below my belly button was 4 in and put a mesh there to fix it. He put a mesh above my belly button he said so it wouldn't turn into a hernia from where they stuck a camera through there. I have a vertical scar from where they did my surgery. What surgeons do you know in North Carolina that can do it and what kind of price range am I looking at?

Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to Better Determine

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 
Many procedures can be combined. Cosmetic procedures such as Brazilian Butt Lift (#BBL), Thigh Lift (#TL) and Mommy Makeover (#MMO), which usually concentrates on the breast and abdomen areas, may be combined together. However, I look at the risk factors such as surgery time greater than 6 hours, or #anesthesia time, increased risks of DVT, prolonged  #healing, #positioning after surgery to name a few, which are a lot to consider. These factors are relative to performing any variety of combinations. 
The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation. Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. All surgical #procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Also, another element to a #satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations.

I want to get a mommy makeover but have a hernia mesh. What surgeons do you know who can do it?

This should not pose an issue for an expert surgeon. Find an expert in all of these procedures who has great before and after pictures and great reviews.

I want to get a mommy makeover but I have a hernia mesh. What surgeons do you know that can do it?

Most plastic surgeons who perform mommy makeover procedures are comfortable with with performing the surgery on patients who have a surgical mesh in place.  I have routinely performed this procedure on patients who have a mesh in place and have not found the mesh to pose a major problem.  Be certain to let your surgeon know about your previous surgeries and that there is a mesh present.  Costs for the surgery can vary, depending on the type of tummy tuck and type of breast surgery required, but can range from $10,000 to $20,000.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Will previous hernia repair with mesh affect my tummy tuck?

A well-trained and experienced board certified plastic surgeon should be able to perform a tummy tuck after previous hernia repair with mesh. There are different types of hernias and mesh repairs. Some are done internally below the muscle layer and some above the muscle layer. Your surgeon will take your medical history and very likely review the operative report from your previous hernia repair. This will allow your surgeon to make a plan that is best and safest for you.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover would probably permit mesh to be removed.

The abdominoplasty part of a mommy makeover would probably allow advancement of the fascia which is part of the abdominal wall tightening that would include removing of previously placed mesh.

Without photos it's difficult to tell, however during the abdominoplasty dissection  the mesh can be identified and protected. If there is any hernia -- it can be repaired. This should not be a problem to having a Tummy Tuck. I do this all the time. Seek an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

The hernia mesh for a small umbilical repair should be inconsequntial.  Please bring a copy of your operative report for the hernia repair to your plastic surgeon visit.  It is impossible to tell with accuracy online if your scar can be completely excised durign your tummy tuck.  Your surgeon will be able to advise you after a physcial examination durign your consultation.  Best of luck.

--Dr. Mussman

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The main impact of a previous hernia repair place on an abdominoplasty would be to limit the ability of the surgeon to perform a plication (sutures placed to tighten) of the fascia (the tough tissue around the muscle). The other issue will be the midline scar and any other surgical scars on your abdomen. The scar may impact the technique chosen to remove the skin. It is likely that the vertical scar will need to be excised and it depends on how high that scar is on the abdomen as to whether or not it can be completely removed. I would recommend looking for a plastic surgeon that is board-certified and has experience with both cosmetic abdominoplasty and hernia repairs.

David Mathes, MD
Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Is a mommy makeover possible?

Its difficult to tell you if you are a good candidate for a mommy makeover without a formal physical exam.  But your history of a hernia repair with mesh should not preclude you from a mommy makeover.  Depending on the size of the hernia and the mesh utilized, your plastic surgeon may or may not be able to perform the muscle tightening portion of your tummy tuck.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Best wishes
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX