Do I need to lose 15 more pounds before I get a mommy makeover consultation? (Photo)

I am 5'2 and 154 lbs. My goal weight is around 135-140. A majority of fat I carry in my stomach area. I have already lost 20lbs. Should I keep working out to lose 15-20 more lbs when I'm sure I probably carry at least 10 lbs in my stomach and flank area. That fat and skin would be removed during my surgery anyway.. Right? What would give me the best results? Looking for a breast lift and Aug. also, and possibly lipo in my neck and chin.

Mommy Makeover

Congrats on the #weight you have lost already! Keep up the great work!  The closer you are to your goal weight/ "normal" weight before your #mommymakeover surgery, the better.  Having a healthy BMI prior to surgery will minimize #complications and give you the best possible #results.
Book an in-person consultation with a #boardcertified plastic surgeon for more information.

Mommy makeover

It is best to be at your goal/stable weight prior to surgery. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Best of luck!

Mommy Makeover - Candidate? Still Need To Lose Weight?

Thank you for your question and photos. I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. If this is not possible, your BMI should be below 30 to minimize your risk of complications. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast and body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

MM and weight

Obviously a more desirable weight is preferable and desirable for the patient and surgeon alike. However a stable weight is one of the most important things you can do prior to surgery. In other words losing weight prior to surgery then gaining back afterwards is counterproductive. If you are within about 20 pounds or less of your usual weight then it should not make that much difference.

Weight loss prior to mommy makeover

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I think the best answer will be to live a healthy lifestyle that you can continue after your mommy makeover.  The 10-15 lbs that you are referring to will not make much of a difference in terms of results for most plastic surgeons.  You will lose some weight with the skin and fat removal and you will likely loose some in the first 3 months following your tummy tuck.  If you, however, life a lifestyle that you plan to continue after your surgery and you loose some additional weight prior to your mommy makeover then that will just extra help to achieve the best result possible.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Weight loss prior to cosmetic surgery offers best results

Congratulations on loosing 20lbs!
Loosing another 15-20 will most likely eliminate the need for chin/neck lipo and improve overall results from TT and breast lift. Loosing the extra pounds won't cost $$, but extra lipo will. A TT with mesh reinforcement will ensure a long term flat tummy and a breast lift using The Horndeski Method will reshape and reposition your breasts high on your chest without the added risk/complications or maintenance associated with breast implants. Attached is a link explaining both techniques in detail. The video is of a woman who wanted a lift. No implants were used.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal contour improvement

Thank you for your question. I always recommend that if a patient is interested in further weight reduction to have this accomplished prior to surgery. This way there is a smaller chance that you will need a revision if you were to have the surgery first then lose additional weight. In your case the weight of skin and fat removed is less than you would think. However, if you are happy at your current weight you would still be a reasonable candidate for surgery.

Ryan Mitchell, MD, FRCSC
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

Congratulations on your weight loss! 
The time is right to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to plan for a mommy makeover. You appear to be a good candidate for a mommy makeover with your current weight but you can continue to lose weight to improve your results. 
The tummy tuck will not remove the extra 10 lbs but like many of my patients you can continue to lose weight after surgery. 

Dr. Khuthaila

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Mommy make-over - should I lose the weight first?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Your BMI is 28 - so you definitely can have a consultation now.
  • You are at least twenty pounds over your normal weight, according to the CDC -
  • So if you are going to lose the weight, it is better (not necessary) to lose it now -
  • But you won't lose that much before August.
  • I don't think the tummy tuck will remove 20 pounds of tissue - what looks like fat is mostly excess skin and bulging internal organs from loose muscle - this will be repaired at surgery.
  • The liposuction and breast lift can almost certainly be done at the same time.
  • So - yes, have a consultation. keep working on losing weight without dieting and make your plans!
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Ideal weight for surgery

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss. To reduce your risks during surgery and ensure optimal results it's important to maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet to prepare for surgery. The closer you are to your ideal weight before surgery the better your result will be. The recomended weight should be with a BMI below 30. That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.