Rhinoplasty and skin cancer correlation?

Is there a correlation between rhino and skin cancer development; ie. cutting of the skin possibly activating dormant skin cancer cells? i read an article that found an association in mice. Is there any new information which may confirm or deny a higher risk in developing skin cancer on the nose after having a rhino? I am trying to look at every possible angle before having my rhino septo. I live in Queensland (skin cancer capital of the world), and get more sun than I care for on a daily basis.

Rhinoplasty and skin cancer

In my practice I have not seen any relationship between rhinoplasty and skin cancer development.  If a patient had a suspicious lesion we would wait on surgery until skin cancer was ruled out.

Rhinoplasty and cancer

Hi pancakepatty,
There is no known evidence of a correlation between rhinoplasty and skin cancer development. Of course it is possible that living in Queensland you’ve had the sort of sun exposure that will make some sections of your nose skin develop skin cancers with time. If this is the case, this is likely to occur either with or without having done surgery in the area.
Best regards,
Warwick Nettle

Rhinoplasty and skin cancer

I am unaware of any relationship between rhinoplasty and skin cancer development.  That said, I would not operate on a patient with a suspicious lesion until cancer was ruled out.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD