Could I have gone bigger? (Photo)

Here are my before & after side view pix. 2 weeks ago I had a breast lift & implants put in - 300cc on the right & 275cc on the left, inverted T incision. I feel heartbroken. I went in there asking for DD-E. My boobs obviously sit higher but as for the size, I feel like I was ripped off! The surgeon told me that the max size I was allowed on my right breast was 300 & he may even need to take the size down to 275cc. Thoughts please?

Could you have gone bigger?

Every plastic surgeon has a reason for recommending what he does.  I'm sorry you are disappointed but thus far, your results are nice.  The good news is that doing implant replacement 3-6 months down the road is a relatively easy surgery with a much shorter recovery.  Good luck, and I hope you end up with a look you love!

Could I have gone bigger?

Thank you for your question.  Please have patience.  Wait at least 3 months before getting a better idea about how you feel.  A change in your appearance does require some time to get adjusted.  At the same time, be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Size

Take time to heal and adjust to your breast size.  The limiting factor is your skin.  Most likely your surgeon put the largest implant he could get in at that time.  In many cases patients who want to go really large do that in stages.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Could I have gone bigger?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Although it is difficult to determine whether you could have had a larger breast implant utilized, it is probable that your plastic surgeon used as large of a breast implant that he/she felt comfortable using given that you were undergoing the combination breast augmentation/lifting surgery.

Generally speaking (for the benefit of future patients considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery), patients undergoing this combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.

Also, patients undergoing the combination breast augmentation/lifting surgery should understand that there are limits as to how large of an outcome can be achieved, given that breast lifting surgery does involve breast skin removal. On the one hand, breast augmentation surgery is expanding the breast skin “envelope” while breast lifting is (by definition) tightening up the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. Therefore, it becomes important to remove the appropriate amount of breast skin and to use the appropriate size/profile of breast implants to balance these 2 forces appropriately and to allow for achievement of the patient's goals while minimizing risks of complications.

In your case, everything considered, I would suggest ongoing time and patience;  evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed six months down the line. If you still have concerns regarding breast size or symmetry long term, your plastic surgeon will likely be able to improve your outcome with revisionary breast surgery.  Best wishes.

Too early to judge

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. Patience is one of the most important factors in achieving the best results in cosmetic surgery. We all want to see the final result as early as possible. Unfortunately, the healing process is complicated and takes time. The surest way to get a poor result is to undergo revision surgery before your body is ready for additional surgery.

Breast augmentations take about six months for the swelling to go down and the breasts to settle and assume their final size and shape. When we do a breast enlargement, surgeons try to center the implant behind the nipple. Minor position adjustments can be accomplished to account for the normal asymmetry that most women have. If the breasts are different sizes, saline implants can be adjusted to achieve better symmetry.

Please wait until six months post op and then return to your original surgeon. Minor asymmetry is normal. Too vigorous surgical approaches may result in more expense, more scarring, and new complications.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD