Im Goin to Thailand (Bangkok) for Breast Agumentation.

I was told by many people who have had breast augmentations in Thailand that after the surgery they give very low strength pain killers that dont help much. Im getting the implants inserted through my armpits so I know after the surgery i will be in a lot for pain. I was told by these people i need to go to the chemists there and buy strong pain killers myself. Does anyone know of some that would help with the pain?

Cosmetic Tourism

I agree with my colleagues. Melbourne has a plethora of excellent plastic surgeons. Why take the chance of traveling to another country for plastic surgery ? Should you have the misfortune of developing a complication, what would you do ? Fly back to Thailand ? I suggest you think twice about your plan, consult with surgeons in your region, and weigh the risks, benefits and financial trade-offs. 

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

BA in Thailand

Dear Tarshaa,

Thanks for your question.  It depends on which surgeon or which hospital/clinics you got a surgery done with. Not every surgeons would offer you the same kinds of pain killers. There are various kinds of pain killers offered in Thailand; some are strong, whereas some are weak.

There are a number of board-certified surgeons with ISAPs and OSAPs certificates in Thailand. These doctors are highly qualified and have a long experience in performing plastic surgery. There are a plenty of hospitals with JCI accreditation or other internationally certified hospitals in Thailand with a reasonable surgical price offer. 

Best Regards,

Dr. Tanongsak Panyawirunroj, board-certified plastic surgeon

Better to have surgery in your area

I do not recommend having the procedure performed anywhere far from your home. You need to be close to your surgeon if a complication or problem arises. The person best suited to addressing complications is the surgeon who performed your procedure, and if they're a plane ride away, it becomes very difficult to get an accurate assessment. Medical standards are also different, and you may not get the treatment of the same caliber as that in your country. 

Aside from that, you should ask your surgeon to prescribe you with a stronger medication if the original prescription does not work.  

Ronald Levine, MD

Not a good idea

I strongly recommend you do not have your surgery performed abroad. In addition to medical standards being quite different, your surgeon won't be in the same city as where you live once you return. If complications occur, you won't be able to see the best person to address them: your original surgeon. If you decide to go abroad anyway, please make sure you at least get a full report of your surgery so that you can give it to a surgeon in your city if a complication occurs. They'll have to know the details of your surgery in order to better diagnosis your possible complication.  

Risky traveling to a foreign country for elective plastic surgery

May work well for you but remember if you have a complication you will have to travel back to the original surgoen for care. Many plastic surgeons are unwilling to care for complications that are due to traveling to another country for discount plastic surgery.

Think twice beofre having plastic surgery in another country.

I would urge you to consider looking for a local Plastic Surgeon. Complications do arise... implants sometimes rupture or deflate. What will you do?  I also restrict my patients from flying immediately after surgery d/t possible post-operative complications. Please consider your options. Some of the best surgeons are in your own back yard. You owe it to yourself. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Travelling to Another Country for Breast Augmentation

You should ask yourself why you feel it is necessary to go to another country for your surgery. If it is strictly financial, then I would urge you to reconsider, because it will be quite difficult to seek follow up care or if there are any complications. The issue is that you are not going to a country that is far superior to Australia in this procedure and that the procedure you are having is very common and frequently performed in Australia.

I would answer your question regarding the pain medications by telling you to find a plastic surgeon in your city and bypass all the potential pitfalls of having traveling thousands of miles to get elective cosmetic surgery.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Breast augmentation

Going to another country for a cosmetic procedure may have short term financial benefits, but at times the costs of treating a complication is much more that the original cost of the procedure. I have seen many patients who have had procedures performed outside of the US with complications, which ended up costing the patient much more than they imagined.  Another problem is that the standards are at times not the same.  I am not suggesting that there are not ethical and good plastic surgeons in the country that you mentioned.  Be careful.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Why travel for breast augmentation?

I agree that there are fantastic plastic surgeons in Melbourne.  Why fly to another country for a very common plastic surgery procedure. In my practice, I see a number of patients that come to see me after having gone to other countries for plastic surgery and there seems to be a clear increase in infection.  Part of having surgery is bonding with your doctor and having a good doctor to take care of you afterwards if there is a problem. If you fly in and fly out just because it's cheaper (or they have convinced you it is), you may have to pay more in the long run if there is a complication.  It's a long way to go for something you can get done with a high degree of safety and quality right there in Melbourne. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Traveling for Breast Augmentation

Why are you traveling to a place to have surgery when you are already questioning your post op care?  If you were traveling to a higher level of care, this would be understandable.  However, it seems very odd that you would travel for the surgery when people are already warning you about inadequate care.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD