I need advice please! I'm almost 34 and I look 10 plus years older then I am! Am I a good candidate for a face lift? (photo)

I am almost 34 and look way older than I am and would like to have a procedure done to restore some youthfulness. I've been treated with botox, juvederm, and Voluma multiple times. Been told they can't treat the lines on the sides of my mouth.been treated with Voluma (2 syringes) and 40 units of Botox in 6/2015 and then 1 syringe of Voluma and 1 syringe of Juvedurm and 6 units of botox last month on 10/26/15. A doctor suggested a face lift. Suggestions? Face lift procedure? Good surgeons?

"I need advice please."

Thank you for your post and photos. As Dr. Commons stated below, your skin appearance is a combination of inherited traits and sun exposure. Nicotine exposure can also accelerate the skin aging process. I agree with the surgeons below who feel a "facelift" wouldn't help at this point in your life. You are however an excellent candidate for aggressive skin care which would include chemical or laser resurfacing. There are many well qualified board certified dermatologists and plastic surgeons who could administer this care. Furthermore it appears you have volume loss in the cheeks (this could be an artifact of the wide angle photo) which could be treated with fat injections to give you a more youthful look. You have a small amount of skin excess of the upper eyelids which contributes a bit to an "older" look. A blepharoplasty would improve this.

I would be optimistic. There are many options available to you. Please make sure your practitioner is well qualified. RealSelf.com could direct you to the best professionals in your area. Best wishes to you.

A face lift at 34?

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• Your photo suggests that you have very significant sun damage to your skin -
  • I assume the redness in your face is from sun exposure
  • You are spending a small fortune on temporary fillers, so let's look for a better solution.
  • Your first and most important step is to reverse the sun damage -
  • This also means life long sun screen of high quality.
  • I would suggest therapeutic skin care such as Obagi, a TCA peel combined with micro-needling. 
  • CO2 lasers seem to me to thin the skin - and the goal is to thicken your skin.
  • If you smoke (marijuana as well as cigarettes), you should stop - combustion products are toxic and damage the skin.
  • Once your skin is as healthy as possible, it is reasonable to consider small temporal, submalar and pre-jowl implants to add permanent volume in those areas.
  • Continuing Botox will prevent further lines and will soften those that exist.
  • At that point, if there is persistent lower face looseness - an early face lift can be considered
  • Although the early 30s are young for a face lift, in women who age early, the skin can be damaged and require tightening this young -
  • But a healthy skin and a few small implants may make so much difference that you want and need nothing more.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

34 year-old looking older

Thanks for your multiple photos.  I see the potential for nice and natural change in your appearance with the following ideas:
Full face fractionated CO2 laser peel (Lumenis Active FX)
Upper and possibly lower blepharoplasties.
Placement of a small chin implant.
Intraoperative fat transfer to the hollows of your cheeks, and to other areas of skin wrinkling for volume restoration and stem cell skin rejuvenation.

Depending on the amount of fat that you have available for transfer and the successful "take" of the fat possible future cheek hollow volumization with Sculptra or Radiesse.  Juvederm may also be used to supplement laser/fat grafting to further improve your finer wrinkles.

You are not in my opinion a candidate for a face lift.  The nice thing about the above options is that you can pick and choose the order in which you proceed.

Enjoy your results, stay out of the sun and make sure that you seek treatment with a competent Bd Certified surgeon or dermatologist.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

I need advice please! I'm almost 34 and I look 10 plus years older then I am!

First, you don't need a facelift and a facelift will not in any way help with your concerns. I agree with Botox and filler treatments but you also need fairly aggressive skin resurfacing to smooth your skin, even pigmentation and reduce the etched in lines that have formed. Skin care with medical grade products and generous use of sunscreen will also help. A facelift lifts and repositions lax skin but will not eliminate etched in lines on the face or help with nasolabial folds. Be wary of any surgeon who recommends a surgical procedure to eliminate your concerns. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fine wrinkles

You have fine wrinkles throughout your face which would benefit from a strong peel to help smooth these out.  You do not have the typical findings that support pursuing a facelift like jowls, cheek ptosis, deep NL folds, and neck bands.  A peel with some fat grafting for more volume would be my recommendation. 

Skin damage

You have a great deal of surface skin damage for your young age, so you should concentrate on skin surface improvement and ask about treatments such as deep chemical peels, laser treatments, and dermabrasion.  Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

I think you are a great candidate for non surgical interventions. I would recommend a profractional with a micro laser peel along with prescription strength skin care. This would include a retin A product, an antioxidant, moisturizer and a sunscreen. Also, lifestyle changes be also be beneficial to slow the aging process. Good luck!

Premature Aging

Based on your age and pictures, you are not yet ready for a lift.  Your "shape" and contour is reasonably good. The bigger issue is the damage you have to your skin from either the sun and/or smoking.  So before you go and spend any of your money on procedures/treatments, you should consider modifying your behavior, which is accelerating your aging unnecessarily.  That said, I would recommend three treatments that would make significant improvement for you. I would recommend a full face aggressive fractional CO2 laser treatment (for skin texture/tone), a chin augmentation (to balance your strong cheeks and address your smaller chin), and an upper blepharoplasty (to open the eyes).  This combination, in my opinion, would give you the most improvement.  The good news is that typically all 3 can be performed on the same day resulting in only one "downtime", which is great! Good luck!

Paul Lanfranchi, DO, FAOCO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift question

Based on the images provided and your age I agree that a facelift is not indicated at this time.  You would benefit from laser resurfacing, restoration of facial volume with fat or filler. Any skin  laxity could be treated with radiofrequency devices.

Philip Solomon, MD, FRCS
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of a Facelift

Age is not the primary determinant of when to have a facelift, it depends on the amount of skin laxity present.  Genetics, lifestyle exposures such as sun or smoking, and age all play a role.  What I can see from the photos is more textural concerns of the skin and some volume loss to the face.  This can be improved with laser resurfacing and volume replacement including fillers such as Sculptra or hyaluronic acids like Voluma or Restylane, or fat transfer.  

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon