Seeking more defined jaw line, is Smart Lipo best option? (photo)

I feel like my profile is still weak even after having a chin augmentation a couple years ago. Is smart lipo the best option to get more definition along my jaw and neck? I am 110 lbs but still have this extra fullness there

Best options to improve jaw line.

Great question. The good news is there are a few different options to consider.

Smart liposuction with Precision contouring is an excellent option for contouring the jawline and neck. I find this approach to be an excellent solution for patients with generalized thickness in their subcutaneous tissue and generalized neck laxity. I perform that under local anesthesia in my procedure room. 

Another excellent option for submental localized fatty deposits is Kybella injection(dissolves fat) followed by Ultherapy to tighten the skin after the fat dissolves and gets reabsorbed.

The only way to provide YOUR best option is to evaluate your skin and subcutaneous tissue in person. Good luck!

SmartLipo for jawline

Smartlipo would be an excellent treatment for improving the contour of your jawline and neck.  This is typically done in the office under tumescent local anesthesia +/- oral sedation and would take about 1 hour.  For you, I feel this is a superior option to Kybella which only addresses excess fat directly under the chin.  You also require treatment further back along the jawline to obtain optimal results.

I suggest a consultation with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in these techniques to determine the best option for you.  Best of luck.

SmartLipo

Thank you for your question. You are an ideal candidate for Kybella, the first and only-FDA approved injectable to effectively remove submental fullness (double chin) due to submental fat. While SmartLipo is used mainly for the cheek area, Kybella targets the neck fat to create a more defined jaw and neckline. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction candidate

Please seek an in person consultation, you may be a candidate for simple liposuction of the area. Liposuction of the cervical facial area is usually done in one hour under local IV sedation. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!  

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #cervicalfacial

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Seeking more defined jawline

Hello Bestself22!

Thank you for a great question.  The extra fullness under the chin, and its impact on the profile is a concern that I see a lot in my practice.  I perform a laser procedure to not only contour the fat, but tighten the skin which can have great results for both the neck and the jawline.  See "26 year old with slight double chin" in my reviews.  I hope this helps!  I would recommend consulting with a facial plastic specialist to address your concerns.  

All my best!  Dr. Elizabeth

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only an opinion.  See in person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Seeking more defined jaw line, is Smart Lipo best option?

Without an in-person evaluation, it is hard to give specific suggestions but there are options: Ulthera or lipo (including SmartLipo, also called Laser Lipo). Kybella is possible but not as useful. If you are younger and have good skin tone, regular lipo may be enough. If you need to tighten the skin, SmartLipo can be done. 

See link below for examples.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Laser Jawline

Hello! Thank you for your questions and photos. I would avoid laser liposuction above the jawline to minimize the chances of a transient or permanent injury. You will benefit most from laser liposuction under the chin. Fat removal in this area will redefine your jawline and you could have tremendous results! 

In good health,

Dr. Berger

Andre Berger, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Chin / Neck Liposuction

Thanks for your question. I love using Smartlipo for this part of the anatomy. It tends to work very well w/ minimal downtime and risk. It takes a solid 3 months to really see the end results. It can provide an improved contour, especially on profile. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

More Defined Jaw line

Dear Bestself22,

Thank you for your picture.  I agree with Dr. Eppley, that bony augmentation (sliding genioplasty) with neck liposuction including Smartlipo® may be more beneficial.

Good luck

Smartlipo chin/jowl area!

Smartlipo is a minimally invasive procedure that melts the fat in the desired area, tightens the skin, and removes that fat completely out of your body! Smartlipo is also a shaping and contouring procedure. The laser will be able to define your jawline  and shape it the way you desire! This procedure is permanent and destroys 60-70% of those fat cells,smartlipo is a one time treatment. I hope this helps you on your journey!:)

Chaitali Nangrani, MD
The Woodlands Family Physician