Does the tummy tuck scar always have to be very very low, or could it be higher?

I have a very ugly vertical scar on my right lower abdomen from an appendectomy. Is it reasonable to ask my plastic surgeon to cut that out completely when he does a mini tummy tuck on me. He wants to excise non-scarred skin lower (the usual way that minis are done), but I would prefer one higher horizontal scar instead of keeping half of the ugly vertical scar and also having the horizontal scar from the mini.

Thank you for the question.  Generally speaking, the incision line should be planned so that the resulting scar is hidden in the undergarments/swimming suits the patient plans to wear. However, the lower the incision line is kept, the less skin can be removed at or above the level of the umbilicus. Having said that, it is possible to plan the incision line higher  if necessary.   Ultimately, careful communication between patient and plastic surgeon is important when planning the tummy tuck procedure. Patient's priorities should be considered heavily during the planning process. In my practice, I find it very helpful to mark the patients as much as possible the day before surgery with the patient's undergarment/swimming suit as a guide. Patients can then consider the markings overnight and adjustments can be made the morning of surgery as necessary.
   I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Scar placement options with tummy tuck

Most patients prefer placement of the scar low along the bikini line, whether a mini or full. If you were a candidate for a full tummy tuck (no way to tell without pictures and exam) then it could be possible to remove the appendectomy scar completely and still have optimal placement of the TT scar.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many different options for scar placement from a tummy tuck.  The most valuable advice you could receive would be through an in-person consultation and the most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Does a tummy tuck scar have to be very, very low

Without seeing photos it is hard to give a definitive answer. There is a little less skin coming out with a minitummy tuck and the scars are usually placed lower. I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon. A horizontal scar going across your abdomen in the mid lower abdomen often gives the abdomen a chopped in half appearance. I'm sure your plastic surgeon would be glad to talk with you again about this.

Karen Quigley, MD