I don't want the scar, cost or recovery from back lift. Would I get good results with Lipo of my bra rolls & lower back? (Photo)

I'm a mom of 4 and have lost about 40 pounds,I'm pretty much at my goal weight. Now Im ready for my tummy tuck and getting rid of this back fat. I'd rather get Lipo on my back because I don't want the scar from a back lift. I've seen some really impressive back Lipo before/after pictures online, so I want to give Lipo a try, but will I be wasting my time and money?

I don't want the scar, cost or recovery from back lift. Would I get good results with Lipo of my bra rolls & lower back?

Based on your photos liposuction of these areas may leave you with loose skin. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Regards, 

Liposuction instead of back lift?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and back liposuction.
  • Congratulations on losing some weight.
  • Your idea is a good one - 
  • Liposuction is your best choice to have with a tummy tuck.
  • It will leave the skin a bit looser and the improvement will not be 100%
  • (It never is on the back because the skin itself is thick.)
  • Please discuss realistic expecations of your tummy tuck with your surgeon -
  • It looks as though you have some internal abdominal fat which will affect your tummy tuck.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Back lipo over backlift?

Hello!I think it would be worth pursuing liposuction of the back in combination with Tummy Tuck. You may not rid yourself of the rolls 100% but they will be significantly reduced. Liposuction of the back of the waist will also improve buttock aesthetics. I think you will see improvement and I would personally recommend Liposuction over Backlift.Best of luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Lipo and loose skin

If you have significant fat in these areas, the lipo can reduce the overall volume with minimal scars.  However, the loose skin like the skin hanging on your back rolls will likely stay loose.

Tummy tuck and back liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Your back contour could be improved with liposuction, without need for a back lift.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Back Rolls

This is a very good question that does not have a good answer. I personally have patients where I have been able to significantly reduce the back rolls through liposuction alone but I also have some where I could not. The key, if liposuction is performed, is to release the fold attachments so the skin can re drape over the entire back. Even when doing this it sometimes does not work. The only thing I can tell you is to give it a try but have it done by a plastic surgeon who is experienced with these back folds.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon