Should I have my Lipoma removed?

Hi I have a Lipoma on my back near my bra strap. Had it for years but now it hurts and is getting bigger. My primary doctor said it was Lipoma but didn't address it. Should I have it removed before it gets even bigger and more painful lot of pain in that area?

Lipoma removal in Los Angeles

Painful lipomas should not be ignored. I would schedule a surgical removal of the lipoma to minimize symptoms. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Lipoma removed

Hi Thank you for your question. Lipomas are one of the most frequent benign tumors. The indication for their removal is mostly for aesthetic reasons or because they are on spots location. The surgical procedure for a lipoma removal is very easy and can be done without a problem under local anesthesia at the doctor`s office. I would recommend you to consult with a certified plastic surgeon.

#Lipoma - Should I have my Lipoma removed?

While there is little medical urgency to remove a lipoma, once they've become a certain size (different for each person) there are reasons to remove it.  It will almost certainly not go away on its own, so if it's already become troublesome and/or an issue aesthetically, then that is not going to get better with surgical intervention.  Fortunately these can normally be removed through surprisingly small incisions and so don't need to leave scars as long as one might think looking at the mass.  You should of course be seen in person for a full and appropriate assessment, and I'd recommend a board-certified plastic surgeon for that.  I can normally remove even large lipomas through incision of less than about an inch (a second incision might be necessary for a drain).  Once they're healed both are significantly less noticeable and symptomatic than the lipoma itself was.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Lipoma

Lipomas are benign fatty masses that can occur anywhere on the body. They don't have to be removed but if they occur in certain places that get rubbed and begin to bother a patient, I recommend removal through a tiny incision. Liposuction can be used in larger lipomas but have a fairly high recurrence. A new drug that dissolves lipoma (and fat) called Kybella is newly available but very expensive so complete excision through a tiny incision is best recommendation for most patients. Good luck and take care.

Should I have my Lipoma removed?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your lipoma issues.  In most cases removal is a small in-office procedure and avoids the lipoma getting bigger resulting in increased pain or a larger cosmetic issue.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. Hope this helps

Lipoma near the bra line

Lipomas are benign entities but they can cause pain and discomfort.  They can sometimes continue to grow.  There is always a small risk of having a growth which is cancers such as Liposarcoma.  The only way to be absolutely sure that it is a benign Entity is to undergo Excisional biopsy

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon