How do you know if it is swelling or an over-fill?

I had my 2nd syringe of boletero in the tear troughs on 4 days ago, this was a 2nd fill from my 1st boletero for under eye hallows in October 2015. My right eye is perfect, but my left eye is swollen and has bruised. The doctor said I have a hematoma from the injection. How will you know if the swelling is and over-fill or part of the hematoma/bruise. I do have the bruise looking discolored. My next follow-up is mid-month....at this point, I do not want anything ever done to my face!

Give It Time

4 days is too early to tell whether you are overfilled or not. The skin of the tear trough area is very thin compared to the rest of the face, therefore, swelling after injections to this area is very common. The swelling can take up to 2 weeks to fully resolve. Especially if you have bruising or a hematoma. If after 2 weeks your eyes still look considerably puffy then its likely that you were overfilled. If that is the case then the Belotero can be dissolved with Hyaluronidase. If you feel comfortable with your injector then you should trust his/her advice. Best of luck to you.

Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Swelling after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question.

4 days is too early to tell. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Dissolution of Belotero with Vitrase

If the discoloration persists after 2 weeks, the product can be dissolved with Vitrase.

Dr Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Belotero for Tear Trough

If you have a bruise under your eye and a hematoma then you probably will have to wait a few more weeks to determine if it is severe bruising for as a result of too much product place.  Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

You will have to wait about 2 weeks for the bruising and swelling to resolve before concluding that the swelling is due to excessive filler. If you still have swelling beyond this time frame, then you could consider injections of hyaluronidase to dissolve the filler. Thank you for sharing your question and concerns. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Belotero and Swelling -- Reverse with Hyaluronidase, Add Venus Legacy

Please see your physician if you are concerned, but often I tell people to take 2 weeks before deciding on the ultimate outcome. Best, Dr. Emer