Why do they always say Restylane causes extreme swelling compared to other fillers? Is this true?

Is it possible to have no crazy swelling from restalyne injections with a canulla? Does the filler always change in size months later?

Why do they always say Restylane causes extreme swelling compared to other fillers? Is this true

I have heard it for a log time  but in my experience I have not found there to be much difference between Restylane and Juvederm in my practice.

Lower eyelid correction with Restylane, less swelling in reality.

To be quite honest, of all the hyaluronic acid fillers on the market, Restylane has the lowest hydrophilic characteristics.  Bottom line is it will have a tendency to swell up LESS than the others making it a very common recommendation for plastic surgeons to correct lower eyelid tear troughs and nasojugal folds.

Excess filler will always appear swollen regardless of the type and tindle effects are very common in lighter skinned individuals.

Fat transfers are really the most ideal but obviously carry a greater cost and risk-reward discussion.

Great question and thanks for including us.
Dr. Hobgood

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling With Restylane

Juvederm swells the most of all the fillers.  I suggest you see a physician who has a lot of experience in filler injections.  Best Dr. Emer.

I appreciate your question.

All hyaluronic acids can swell due to their affinity for water and where being injected.  However, in my opinion Restylane swells less than Juvederm.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Juvederm is what you are thinking of. It is notorious for making big swollen blue pillows under the eyes in particular. It picks up more water than restylane and Perlane do.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and swelling

All hyaluronic acid fillers have a propensity to swell due to their affinity for water. i do not think Restylane is more than other HA fillers although there are fillers that do not have HA and that may be what you are feferring to

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Restylane

I have found Restylane to be slightly better than other filler with regard to swelling, however, in my hands, Resylane Silk used in the lips can cause a bit more swelling.  I think the result is worth it because Silk is a "small particle size" filler and tends to provide a smoother and softer result.

Gregory Pistone, MD
Cherry Hill Dermatologist

Restylane and risk for swelling

Restylane in my hands does not typically cause extreme swelling.  I actually prefer Restylane in delicate areas such as under the eyes because it does not swell as much as other fillers such as Juvederm.

I prefer to use cannulas for most of my under eye injections due to a lower risk for bruising.  Swelling can still occur with a cannula but it usually is not severe.  Applying ice after the injection usually helps to reduce swelling.  

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane

Interesting question. I think that the ha fillers are generally the same but I have experienced a bit more swelling when I inject restylane. It depends on the area that the injection is being made as well. 

Restylane does not usually cause excessive swelling

Thank you for asking the good question. Any of the fillers can cause swelling, but most (including Restylane) do not cause excessive swelling. If Restylane does cause unusual swelling, it typically resolves in a few days. I hope you find this helpful. Good luck.