Would I be a good candidate for tear trough Restylane fillers? (photos)

I started noticing a little shadow under my eye. Would I be a good candidate for tear trough Restylane fillers? Would I need a lot of cc's as I am wondering what the cost would approximately be?

Tear Trough Treatment

Thank your for your question and photo. The tear trough, depression just beneath the eye is one of the most common complaints of patients. The hollowness creates shadowing which can be exacerbated if there is also fatty bags. From your picture it appears that you have an early, mild tear trough which can be treated beautifully by an HA filler. Restyled Silk is a great option. It has excellent properties which makes ideal for this subtle area. One syringe should be more than adequate to treat both sides. This area should be treated very conservatively to avoid overcorrection of the delicate area
Best of Luck
Dr G

Restylane to tear trough

The tear trough is one of my most common injection sites.  My patients really like having this area filled to hide under eye bags, circles, hollows, and shadows.  I prefer to inject Restylane with a blunt cannula to minimize the risk for bruising or side effects.  If you want to pursue this, I would recommend that you find a doctor who is comfortable using a cannula in this delicate area.
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear trough filler candidate

Yes you do appear to be a good candidate for tear trough (under eye hollow area) filler injection. See an oculoplastic specialist. 

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

Fillers, lasers, and microneedling/PRP can improve under eye hollows. I suggest using Restylane or Belotero with cannulas for the tear trough area. My patients try to get non surgical treatments to avoid surgery. We use PRP and stem cells there often as well. Best, Dr. Emer.

Candidate for Tear Trough Fillers

Looking at your pictures it seems that you would be a candidate for fillers in the tear troughs. I would recommend either Belotero or Restylane Silk as it doesn't look like you have much volume loss. You probably wouldn't need more than 1 syringe. I use cannulas in this area to minimize the risks of swelling and bruising. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Filler would do well in tear trough

I think that a little bit of filler would do well for you in this area. Restylane, restylane Silk or Belotero would be my choices.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Tear trough and filler

you are actually a good candidate, but I prefer Belotero rather than Restylane. as far as cost you are in a very expensive area but the tear trough requires very little product for treatment

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Candidates for fillers in the tear trough, what to consider.

Patient's with darkness under their eyes due to tear troughs have a number of options available to them.

Smoother hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane Silk and Belotero have been used in this area with good results. That particular area has very thin skin and the filler is injected at a superficial level, so you need an injector with excellent technique.

Before the injection, have a sit down discussion with your doctor. They should do an examination and even take pictures to evaluate your face. This is the opportunity to ask questions:

1. Which filler will they use? how many syringes?
2. What technique do they do? sharp? cannula? 
3. What is Tyndall effect? light scatter causing a blue tint.

I would start conservatively a single 1cc syringe total for both tear troughs, you can always add more later. I like using blunt 25g cannulas to avoid lumps and to protect blood vessels. A safe injection is a happy injection. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injections

Great question! I always recommend that patients schedule a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon so that they can be assessed in person to determine if they are a good candidate for Restylane. Based on what you are describing, Restylane sounds like it could be a very effective treatment for the under eye “shadow” that you’ve started to notice. The amount of Restylane needed differs from person to person, and there would be no way to accurately predict the amount or the price before seeing you for a consultation. While price is an important factor to consider, I recommend finding a physician who has a lot of experience injecting Restylane, even if their prices are not the lowest. As with any injectable product, the final result is based largely on the experience of the doctor doing the injections. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Would I be a good candidate for tear trough Restylane fillers?

Restylane® and Belotero® are considered the current gold standard fillers for the tear troughs. For a more specific evaluation which requires a physical examination of the eye area, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist