I'm considering a breast lift, but my scar from c-section is still showing and hasn't disappeared? (Photo)

my doctor tells me not to do the lift because the scars will be ugly. Is that true?

Potential for Less Scarring with Breast Lift

The procedure is done on an outpatient basis under intravenous sedation and local or general anesthesia. As mentioned above there are a variety of techniques for these operations.  Lollipop lift (vertical lift), donut (periareola) lift, Benelli lift, crescent lift, anchor lift (inverted T). Most commonly, we prefer the lollipop or donut lift because of the shape, small scars and easier healing. Likely what your doctor is referencing is the “anchor-shape” or inverted “T” incision un the breast which is still more popular in the United States. It represents an older technique with extensive scarring and a less optimal result in many cases. The newer techniques are now utilized in the vast majority of cases, the rare exception being extremely large breasts. The nipple-areola complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Scarring

Hi,

I wouldn't use your C-section scar as evidence for future outcomes. C section closures are often done using staples, unlike a plastic surgeon's precise closure. But, Why not choose a current technique that doesn't require a vertical incision. This means less scarring and a more esthetic outcome. The attached video is of a woman who did not want implants nor the ugly vertical scar. You can view her before video when you visit my profile under "videos". 

Best wishes and kind regards,

Scarring

Hi,

Best wishes and kind regards,

Scarring and breast lift

Although both areas will scar that is the only similarity between the abdominal and breast incisions. The c section scar closure and a plastic surgical closure of a cosmetic breast operation are not the same. Surgical technique to minimize tension and optimize healing is a routine part of plastic surgery.

Keloid and hypertrophic scarring are unique situations which can occur but the photo you provided does not demonstrate those conditions.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and discuss realistic expectations of scarring and demonstrate them on their post op photos. There are also post surgical treatments that can be used to optimize the appearance of your incisions as well.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Scarring and breast lift

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Breast Lift

Unfortunately the only way to get a mastopexy is to place some scars on your breasts.  The scars can be improved by many techniques and that is important to discuss with your surgeon.  If your abdominal scar is greater than 6 months old discuss options for scar management with your surgeon.  There are several easy options with lasers that can significantly improve the appearance of that scar.  Good luck!

Breast Lift

Ugly scars

When you consider your healing, you need to consider technique of closure and sutures used. In general, breast incisions heal better than your tummy incisions. You will have to evaluate your operative note to determine if you can expect better incision line healing in the future. 

Ugly scars

Concerned about breast lift scars

Hi and thank you for the question.  Generally speaking the scars  from breast lift surgery come out quite well. There is always a trade-off in surgery. In this case, the improved appearance of your breasts almost always outweighs the cost of having new scars. I have never had a patient come in after the surgery and say that they wouldn't do it again because of the scars. In my opinion breasts that have a a pretty shape with scars look better than breasts that don't have scars, but have a poor shape. 

Dr West

Concerned about breast lift scars

Dr West

Scar appearance

Thank you for your question.  The appearance of a scar depends on several factors including your surgeon's technique for skin closure and your ability to heal.  Breast lift scar typically heal extremely well but no one can tell you with certainty how your scars will look following surgery.

Scar appearance

Breast lift scars: C-section scar might provide a clue

Your C-section scars could be a good clue as to how you might heal from a breast lift. It takes one to two years of healing before you know if the final color of the incision will be lighter, darker or the same as your skin tone. Only you can determine if the final scar will be acceptable to you and if the surgery will be worth it. Hope this information is helpful. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Breast lift

It is difficult to predict the final scar after a breast lift. In most cases they go on to heal very well, but the scar is permanent.

Breast lift

Lift scars

Thank you for the question and how you heal in one area is not necessarily predictive of how you will heal in another and there are treatments available to improve scarring anywhere

Dr Corbin

Lift scars

Dr Corbin