How long are the results for upper blepharoplasty?

I'm considering minimal amount of skin and fat removal only of my upper eyelids. How long will the results last...does it depend on the persons lifestyle? I'm concern that my lack of sleep will interfere with how long the results last.

#UpperBlepharoplasty Length of Improvement

There are two ways to answer this question - the first is that improvements following a #blepharoplasty also called an #Eyelift procedure are life long. You turn back the hands of time permanently, but the clock still keeps on ticking. The rate at which you age is dependent on a variety of factors: heredity, race, age, sun exposure, smoking, etc.
The second answer is that if done right the first time in my experience it does not have to be redone for decades before loose skin is bothersome again. In my 30 yrs of practice I have only had to do a #repeatEyelidLift less than a dozen times.

Longevity of Upper Blepharoplasty Results

An upper blepharoplasty is not a permanent operation and how long it lasts depends on several factors. These include how much skin was initially removed, your natural skin elasticity, each patient's genetics of aging and what environmental factors to which one is exposed. But in average I would expect the results to last at least a decade and in some cases much longer.

How long does an upper blepharoplasty last?

Dear Lulu, An upper lid blepharoplasty will typically last a lifetime and will not need repeating. Deciding if you need an upper lid blepharoplasty is also decided upon brow placement and laxity of the skin. If your brows are in their proper placement and you just need some skin and fat removed then this is the proper procedure. If your brows are not in the proper position then it is important to have an endoscopic brow lift first and make sure your brows are in their pre-aging position and then it is determined if you need an upper blepharoplasty. Often times the upper blepharoplasty is done secondary depending upon the patients needs. A consultation and examination will help determine your surgical needs. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

The results of a blepharoplasty are permanent in the sense in that you will continue to look younger years later than you would have without undergoing the blepharoplasty However, a blepharoplasty cannot stop the aging process and the eyelids and rest of the face will continue to age. You will, however, always look younger and better than a twin, if you undergo a blepharoplasty and your twin does not.
The results will vary from person-to-person. Most patients can expect their results to last between eight and twelve years. The length of time that patients enjoy a satisfactory improvement after a blepharoplasty depends on many factors including the quality of their skin, which is influenced by the degree of sun damage or loss of elasticity. Smokers typically have poorer quality skin. Older patients will see an earlier return of laxity, while younger patients will see a more long-lasting improvement. Heredity is important. If your parents aged slowly, you probably will, too. Your diet, general health, time spent in the sun, smoking, weight gains and losses, emotional traumas, and type of skin will all play a role in determining how long the improvement will last.

It is important to realize that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a limited photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

How long does eyelid surgery last?

There are many variables with aging process and the blepharoplasty procedure. In most cases an upper blepharoplasty lasts 10-15 years.

Most people only need one blepharoplasty in their lifetime. There are occasional exceptions.

Most individual will only need one eyelid surgery in there lifetime if the procedure is performed correctly the first time.  Occasionally there will be additional laxity or brow drooping that will require either a brow lift or a secondary eyelid surgery after an extended period of time.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello Lulu.  Thanks for the question.  In general, upper blepharoplasty lasts a very long time.  In my experience, at least 10 if not around 15 years.  In many instances, subsequent blepharoplasty operations can be performed in the office.  Lack of sleep does not really affect the longevity of the lift results.  Factors that do include lifestyle, smoking cigarettes, genetics and sun exposure.  The operation is one of the easiest to recover as well.  Hope this helps.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Forever*

The results after blepharoplasty last forever in that you will always maintain some benefit from having the surgery. I discuss with my patients, however, that the aging process will obviously continue, and the concerns that brought you into the office for a consultation may eventually return. Patients that request revision eyelid surgery typically return after 10-15 years. 

As we continue to age, even after blepharoplasty surgery, the elasticity of our skin increases and may eventually turn into true skin excess that would benefit from a revision surgery. 

The likelihood of requiring revision eyelid surgery is largely dependent on genetics, sun exposure, and skin type. Often times patients are best served by combining a brow lift with upper blepharoplasty for a more natural and longer lasting result. Your plastic surgeon will be able to help guide you with that decision.

Eyelid surgery is very rewarding. The eyes are the focus point of facial expression and convey a great deal about your mood and feelings in social interactions. Inviting eyes are a key aspect of a youthful appearance. Much of what we do in plastic surgery is meant to divert attention from other parts of the face to the eyes.

David J. Archibald, MD
Castle Rock Facial Plastic Surgeon

I personally also believe that the results of surgery are permanent.

Less is more with eyelid surgery.  I perform a surgery that I call microblepharoplasty.  It is much more about structure and not about subtracting tissue.  This includes placing a lower crease, tightening skin on the eyelid platform so it is smooth for the placement of makeful.  This maneuver also supports the eye lashes.  Generally fullness in the sub brow area and the eyelid is preserved unless an area needs specific sculpting.  A hard crease is performed and at the time this is done, any upper eyelid ptosis can also be addressed.  I encourage you to study my before and after results to appreciate that this work can be very natural.

How long will a blepharoplasty last

When I do a complete blepharoplasty, removing skin and herniated fat pads, I tell my patients the results will last 10 -15 years.  Occasionally some lateral upper lid skin may have to be removed sooner than that, depending on skin type, care, avoidance of UV light etc. Also don't confuse the need for bleph revision, with needing a brow lift. Your plastic surgeon should be able to advise you.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon