Could you please tell me how to get rid of the bags under and to the side of my eyes? (photo)

Hi there just wondering would these have anything to do with a recent deviated septum operation ?

Lower lid bags and Malar Mounds

Dear Steve,

You like many individuals have a combination of conditions affecting your lower eyelid region. These can make you appear tired or sick when you feel fine inside. The best option would be to correct both the lower eyelid bags and malar mounds/ festoons at the same time.

I'll include a video below speaking about the different causes for dark circles under your eyes.

I hope this was helpful. 

Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Could you please tell me how to get rid of the bags under and to the side of my eyes?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo you have festoons or malar bags.  They're very difficult to correct surgically and surgical procedures candidly visible scars.  I recommended a trial of dermal filler injections to plump the depressed area beneath the malar bag.

It would be wise to consult the surgeon who did your nasal surgery, as a 3-dimensional evaluation is necessary for eye area puffiness/ "bags".

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Under eye area

You would be a good candidate for a lower blepharoplasty, a lower eyelid surgery, which will help smooth the under eye area.  You may also consider some fillers if needed to contour the area.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn more.

Camille Cash, MD

Under eye bags and festoons

The bags under eyes are eye fat which can be removed via lower blepharoplasty. The bags on the sides are called festoon and they can't be removed, however they are best camouflaged by filling around them using filler injection. See following link.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid bags

Your lower lids/cheeks have two issues. There is forward relaxation of the eye socket (orbit) fat pads. In my experience this is best addressed by transconjunctival blepharoplasty. This is an incision made through the inside of the lower lid to sculpt back the fat pocket. The second issue is known as 'malar bags' or 'festoons.' This is the fullness overlying your cheek bones and is less easy to address. I've had the best results doing CO2 laser of this area, but sometimes it takes more invasive procedures.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Augmenting Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty

You are a good candidate for lower eyelid blepharoplasty, via a  transconjuctival approach (a hidden incision in the inner surface of the lower eyelid). Due to significant volume loss in the mid-face,  microfat grafting or hyaluronic acid gel fillers can further smoothen the contour of the eyelid-cheek junction and optimise the final aesthetic outcome.

Costas Papageorgiou, MD, FACS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon