I'm at six and a half weeks post-op from Vaser Lipo of my inner thighs, flanks and back bra line. Why has my swelling returned?

VASER 4D HI DEF liposuction flanks inner thighs back bra line

Hi nmbaker, Thank you for your questions regarding swelling after VASER liposuction of inner thighs, flanks, and back bra line.  The VASER is a unique device which melts the fat and causes the skin to contract.  Swelling after VASER liposuction is more common and in my opinion lasts longer than traditional liposuction.  This may be because of the thermal properties of the VASER.  Swelling after the VASER liposuction is expected.  Typically, post-operative VASER liposuction swelling is present for six to eight weeks.  Depending on the patient, power level of the VASER, amount of fat removed, and location, post-operative swelling may last up to six months.  VASER 4D HI DEF liposuction of the inner thigh can cause prolonged swelling because of the lymphatic vessels in the groin.   VASER 4D HI DEF liposuction of the back can cause prolonged swelling because of the thick skin on the back.  Post-operative VASER swelling, usually occurs randomly.  However, swelling can be increased by increased physical activity, long-term standing, high salt intake, or eating food with MSG.  To decrease swelling, I would suggest you to continue to wear your compression garment.  You may need a tighter one.  I would also suggest lymphatic massage 2 to 3 times a week for at least 2 weeks.  If you have any other questions about post-operative VASER swelling or the VASER in general, please contact my office.  Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

Vaser Hi Definition Liposculpture/ Liposuction/Fat Grafting/ BBL

I appreciate your question.

Swelling can last 6 months up to 12 months in some patients depending on the extent of procedure performed.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

VASER lipo/Thighs/Flanks/Swelling after 6 weeks--Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Swelling can persist for weeks to months after VASER.  Lymphatic massage, hyperbaric oxygen, compression, and radiofrequency treatments like Velashape and Venus legacy can help significantly.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.