Should I get rhinoplasty? (photos)

Over the years my nose seems to be getting bigger and crooked. I had previously injured my nose playing sports but didn't feel like it was anything serious. I also have trouble breathing through my right nostril and try to breath out of my mouth rather then my nose. I was wondering if I should get rhinoplasty depending on the pictures.

Septorhinoplasty Candidate

Dear shaha1015,  Most likely you have a deviated septum that is secondary to the earlier trauma from your sports injury. A septorhinoplasty is a combined procedure addressing function and aesthetics, allowing one recovery and one surgical fee.  The "septo" portion is addressing the deviated septum and function of the nose and the "rhinoplasty" portion addressing the aesthetics. You would benefit nicely from this procedure to address your deviated septum, reduce your dorsal hump, straighten your nose, narrow your bridge and refine your tip. Often times your insurance company may pay for the functional portion of your procedure if you are diagnosed with a deviated septum.I would suggest seeking consultation with some experts in the field, have imaging performed to see the proposed results and review the experts before and after photographs to ensure natural looking male ethnic rhinoplasty results. See the link below for ethnic rhinoplasty and the video above for examples.  Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty candidate

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening the crooked nose and making it look more symmetrical and refined.  If the nose is been broken, there is a high likelihood there is other issues going on functionally such as a deviated nasal septum which may be addressed at the same time.  A rhinoplasty does not improve breathing capacity through the nose,  Functional nasal surgery does.  Both a septoplasty and rhinoplasty can be performed at the same time when necessary.  For more information describing the differences between the 2 procedures, please see the video below

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge. With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully, Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from spreader grafts and osetotomies.  This can help make your nose appear more straight and can improve your breathing.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Do I need a rhinoplasty?

Thanks for the question.  It does appear based on your description and the photos that you have both functional and aesthetic issues that would warrant a rhinoplasty.  It does appear that you have a significant septal deviation which is probably resulting in some difficulty breathing out of your right nostril.  This would have to be confirmed with an exam.  This issue can often be covered by insurance to address the nasal airway obstruction.  The aesthetic issues related to your nose can be addressed with a rhinoplasty including straightening the nasal tip and pyramid, narrowing the nasal bones, etc.  A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasties is the best next step.

Should I get rhinoplasty?

The internal and external nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery.

What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile. 

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  If you don't like the outside appearance of your nose the first place to start is to consult with an experienced Board Certified Rhinoplasty plastic surgeon in your area.  Have him/her evaluate you in person and discuss your options.  Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

If you are concerned about the appearance of your nose, then you can consider getting a rhinoplasty to improve your appearance.  Because you are having breathing problems, you may be able to have a portion of your procedure covered by insurance to take care of maneuvers to improve your breathing.  I recommend consulting with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss your options.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Rhinoplasty decision'

If you are concerned about breathing and your nasal deviation which is quite significant its looks like you would be a good candidate for a septorhinoplasty 

"Should" you get a rhinoplasty

It is hard to say that you "should" get a rhinoplasty.  I think it is safe to say that you "could" get a rhinoplasty.  It could be directed at straightening your nose, smoothing some of the irregular contours, and adding more definition.  Depending on the focus, your breathing should be improved as well.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD