Are pixie ears considered acceptable consequences after a face lift? (Photos)

Pixie Ears

No, pixie ears are not considered acceptable.  I think you would be hard pressed to find a reputable plastic surgeon who would not agree with my definitive statement.  They can be corrected - I corrected some a couple of weeks ago.  It can leave some scar on the neck (which you already have) but the improvement is beyond worth it.Can be done with local anesthesia.Happy to help if you are interested in traveling to texas. 

These are pixie ears

Hello:Thank you for submitting your question, and I'm sorry you are having difficulty with healing.  Some of the other esteemed surgeons have stated that it's difficult to tell if you have pixie ear deformity in the photos.  But if you click on the individual photos, you can see much more of the earlobe and it's relationship to the cheek, and you do have pixie ears on both sides.  One good thing, it is very treatable.  I recommend you have a discussion with your surgeon, and also get a couple of second opinions regarding the correction.  Try to seek out individuals who do revision facelifts.Best of luck, Dr. White

W. Matthew White, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pixie ears

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you do appear to have excessive tension on a vector inferior to your ear lobule which has pulled the skin down and caused an unfavorable appearance.  This should be avoided in a facelift by removing no skin from under the ear lobule at this location.  I recommend returning to your primary surgeon and sharing your concerns.  If he/she is unable to help, then seek consultation with a facelift expert for a second opinion.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Can't tell

It would be best if you provide us with better photos.  However, if you do have Pixie ears, it is correctable and your plastic surgeon should be able to help you with it.  Also please provide us with before surgery photos too.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Tension on the ear

First off, it's a little difficult to see in your photos if you truly do have what is referred to as a pixie ear deformity. It is not ideal and one can avoid a pixie ear deformity by simply placing all the tension on the lift at a deeper level and my approach is to use the deep plane facelift for various reasons including this. Bottom line is when there is very little or no tension placed around the ear in the hands or a reputable surgeon, one should rarely see a pixie ear deformity.

Edwin F. Williams, III, MD
Latham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pixie Ears

We try to avoid creating "pixie ears" or "tethered lobes". So long as enough time has passed for adequate healing/softening of the tissues has occurred, this can be improved with a small procedure done under local anesthesia.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Needs Revision

Pixie ears are to be avoided during facelift surgery.  Your ears and scars from the previous lift can be revised.

Pixie ears

UNACCEPTABLE.  Too much strain on the the tissues of the ear and skin.  Needs revision!  The result needs to be revised

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pixie Ears after Facelift

Pixie ears are not acceptable after facelift surgery. The goal of this procedure is to rejuvenate the face without leaving any obvious scars or abnormal anatomy. Consult with your surgeon re a revision or see another expert facelift surgeon.

Pixie ears

Thank you for your post. Pixie ears and widened scars are not expected outcomes following facelift surgery. To repair these issues further surgery will be necessary. I recommend you return to your surgeon or consult with a facelift surgeon who is experienced in revision surgery. Best of luck!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon