How do I fix my bent nose? (photos)

Hello ! I am 29 years old and I have a very bad bent nose. I noticed it it since I was 21 yrs old but it was not that bent, but now it seems becoming more and more day by day,even if i smile it gets too much bent. What to do and how to fix it? Please advise.

Doctor Answers 10

Rhinoplasty for a bent nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening the bent nose. To accomplish straightening the crooked nose requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones and manually straightening them. A cartilaginous spreader graft is sometimes placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the midportion of the nose. A tip-plasty is performed  when the nasal tip cartilages are asymmetric. For more information and many examples of  straightening the bent nose,  please see the  link and the video below

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Fixing a crooked nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the photos that you have provided it appears that your nose has a fairly complex dorsal deviation to the right.  The majority of the deviation originates from the high bony dorsal deformity and a few surgical osteotomies would be necessary to break the bone and straighten it.  On closer examination you may also have some concavity of the middle third of the dorsum that is related to high nasal septal deviation or collapse of the upper lateral cartilage on the left side, or both.  A septoplasty would be necessary an likely spreader grafts to maintain the position of the cartilagenous nasal dorsum.  Obviously, a closer physical examination would clarify all of these possibilities.  I would definitely suggest seeing an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for these issues.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 366 reviews

How do I fix my bent nose?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough, it can be straightened and cosmetically improved with a rhinoplasty and possible septoplasty. Whether it is worth doing is a decision that is personal and only you can make. Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The extent and length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination. Robert Singer, M.D., FACS La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

How do I fix my bent nose.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Of course you don't fix your own bent nose.

First you do your homework to find an expert in rhinoplasty and then you go for a consulation.

A history and examination will be done and a recommendation based on those findings, will be proposed, along with the costs, risks, expected outcome, operative and  post op experience, etc.

You should see examples of the surgeon's work and should like what you see.

Dennis Barek, MD (retired)
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

How do I fix my bent nose?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Thank you for your question. 

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 102 reviews

Fixing a Bent Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.

An in-person evaluation is necessary to determine the structures that are bent, and make recommendations on how to correct it.  I recommend that you consult with several experienced rhinoplasty surgeons in your area to discuss your options.


Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Deviated nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your nose seems crooked. Taking photos without glasses on is easier to assess this. A rhinoplasty to correct this deviation would be necessary.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best options. I recommend that you submit a profile image of your nose for the most accurate opinions but from what I can tell in your photos, you would benefit from a rhinoplasty to straighten and thin out the bridge of the nose and possibly a tip rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the tip of your nose which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from osteotomies and spreader grafts to help straighten your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 172 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.