Are my lips permanently damaged? I have two lumps which haven't disappeared after 1 year! (Photos)

I got my lips done with 1ml juvederm in october (uneven and lumpy). The dr added another 0.5ml to 'even them out'.This made them worse so then the Dr used a dissolvant to disolve the lumps only.. still leaving some. I went to another doctor to get them dissolved and he dissolved one side of my lip, putting 0.5ml back in the same day. I went to another lady who took away majority of the uneveness, but a year down the line, I have still got two lumps.

Lumps Juvederm

Hello, It looks like you have some filler remaining the the lips , I would recommend to try to dissolve it however do not inject  more HA until you do not see the results from dissolving it .

Good luck.

Montreal Dermatologist

Lumps from filler in lips

The lumps can still be removed with hyaluronidase. It often takes more than one treatment to dissolve. Occasionally, long standing filler will create collagen around it and then it can't be dissolved well. It better to dissolve sooner rather than wait.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Filler issue

It is likely filler product and you are better off not putting more filler in if you are putting hyaluronidase in.  Best of luck.

Lip nodules

You may still have some HA product in there.  If they are dissolved, you should not have more injected that same day as it will also get dissolved.  May take more than one time to get rid of any residual HA.   But you want to try that before adding anymore product which could create more irregularities. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven lips with bumps - potential causes and how to fix...

Thank you for your question.  There can be many causes for your bumps/uneveness including the filler material itself, biofilm, granuloma formation, etc.  It is best you see a Board Certified Dermatologist/PS with experience in diagnosing and managing these complications.  Typically, the prudent thing to do initially is to start you on a course of oral antibiotics and inject with dilute hyaluronidase.  If there is no improvement you can discuss intralesional kenalog injections, however if biofilm is in consideration as the cause, steroids should be avoided at all costs.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Are my lips permanently damaged? I have two lumps that haven't disappeared in over a year!

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  If the two lumps of your upper lip are your greatest areas of concern you can restore your original, non-augmented appearance with a series of hyaluronidase injections.  This will dissolve the JVD alone and not cause any injury to your lips.  Once the lumps have been fully dissolved you can have filler placed again, and a thinner material such as Volbella or Restylane Silk may be a better option.  Hope this helps.