No improvement in one eye 4 weeks post op. What can be causing this?

I had surgery 4 weeks ago. While one eye is healing great the other has no improvement and i would say vision is worse than pre op. I had a follow up today and with my left eye i could not read the top line of the eye chart, this could not even be improved with a prescription. I have been refered back to see the surgeon but in all of my research i have not came across this and am worried. What can be casuing this?

Eye Surgery Post Op

Unfortunately we cannot provide input without knowing the type of eye surgery you had. I suggest that you follow up with your operating surgeon for an in-person evaluation and guidance. Best wishes.  

It is not at all clear what you are referring to.

What surgery did you have?  Did you have refractive surgery, cataract surgery, or eyelid surgery?  Without that information it is really impossible to make a meaningful response.

Swollen Eyelids After Blepharoplasty

Four weeks is still early in the healing period. Without photos its hard to make a diagnosis but I can speculate so I will. Usually when postop edema effects only one eye it is caused by something the patient is inadvertly doing-most of the time during sleep. A chemosis can cause prolonged edema. Exposure at night with incomplete closure is possible as well as a corneal abrasion due to drying or trauma. It is important to take measures to keep your cornea moist and to assure nighttime closure with taping and/or patching. Do not worry about a change in your vision for about six months but do see an ophthalmologist in the meantime. A small amount of temporary corneal edema can cause a huge change in visual acuity so don't change your prescription until your slit lamp exam is totally normal.

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon