I have been clenching for months and the masster muscle has got bigger and bulges out more. My face shape looks different(photo)

Should I get botox or just try to relax the jaw myself but I do not want to wait months for the muscle to go back to the way it was

#Botox Can Reduce the Appearance of a #SquareJaw

Botox and/or Dysport are easy and simple ways to reduce masseter muscle hypertrophy and enlargement. The bulge on the side of the face that are either genetic or come from habits like grinding or clench teeth can easily be slimmed with a few minute injections.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Slimming face with Botox/Dysport

In my experience, this is a very easy procedure to do with predictable results. I don't think you will have success on your own. Once this is done a few times, your habit of clinching will be lessened and the need for future injections will be less.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox is a home run here

I really find Botox or another similar neuromodulator to be fabulous for relaxing the masseter. I recommend an evening night guard for the mouth to re-train the muscle to be less active. Ask your dentist to evaluate your teeth for signs of grinding and possible TMJ symptoms as these often accompany masseter tension and hypertrophy.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox for Masseter Muscle & Face Slimming

Consider Botox or Dysport injections for improving the enlarged masseter muscle. The results take full effect in 7-10 days. This will help slim the face and may also help you stop clenching. I would see an experienced injector such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon and also evaluate with your dentist. Best to you.

Anita Saluja, MD
Melbourne Dermatologist

Masseteric Hypertrophy

Botulinum toxin is very effective for symptoms and signs of jaw clenching.. These include  headache, TMJ pain, and widening in the lower face.  Depending on the patient 30 to 50 units is injected into each masseter muscle.  The atrophy of the muscle, change in facial shape may take 6 weeks to become apparent, but decreased jaw clenching is apparent at one week. Regards.

Botox for masseter muscle

I think Botox would be a great option for both of your concerns.  It could not only address the shape of your face caused by a hypertrophied muscle but it could also help with clenching your teeth especially at night when most of the damage to your teeth is caused.

Justin B. Maxhimer, MD
Boulder General Surgeon

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  Botox would be a good option to address two of your complaints - increased masseter muscle size and teeth clenching.  Oftentimes the Botox can break the body's tendency to clench your teeth while sleeping which will help limit any further muscle hypertrophy while the Botox itself can help atrophy the muscle  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment.  

Botox for face slimming

Strong masseters are very common and can make the face look heavy. Proper Botox injections can decrease the size of masseters and make the face slimmer.
The key, as always, is to have a proper and thorough consultation and assessment by a doctor experienced with facial slimming treatment.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Masseter Muscle and Botox

You should definitely look into Botox for your masseter muscle.  It should improve your bulge and shape of the lower face.  Best, Dr. Green

Masseter Injections

For women, a softer, less prominent jawline is usually considered to be more feminine, and therefore, more attractive. The Botox, injected in both sides of the jaw, will selectively relax the masseter in the days following your injection, gradually making it less prominent and square. The width of your jawline will slowly narrow, transforming your facial shape into more of an oval or heart.

Typically patients receive 50-70 units for masseters, based on the strength of these muscles.

Upon your assessment, your skilled and qualified injector will be able to provide you with a quote and will determine if you're a good candidate for this treatment.

Take care.