What should I expect in the days following Juvederm Smile? Which 'Arnica' product should I buy?

Hi. I got lip fillers yesterday (juvederm smile - 0.55ml) everything went according to plan. The doctor was pleased with the 'subtle' result and said that I may bruise but had reacted well so would be unlikely. They felt great straight after but as the evening went on, so did the swelling. I've woken up the day after and my lips are huge! They feel tender and look swollen: not the 'subtle' look I was high for. Is this normal? If so, how long for? Which arnica product should I use? TIA.

Swelling after lip injections

Swelling to the lips after lip augmentation is very common.  The tissue is very delicate.  Using cool compresses and keeping hydrated will help with the swelling.

Swelling and bruising after Juvederm

Thank you for your question natw14. Juvederm is a great product to enhance the lips. Swelling and bruising are not uncommon after an injection. Swelling and bruising can last up to two weeks. In our office we provide ice packs to our patients and recommend that they apply cold compresses to minimize swelling and bruising. Sleeping on an extra pillow to elevate the head is also beneficial. I have my patients return two weeks after a treatment to assess the results. At this point the swelling has likely subsided and the final results are evident. We treat bruises as early as the following day after a filler using a laser. This makes the bruise resolve in one to three days rather than up to two weeks. There have been no studies demonstrating an effect of arnica on resolving bruising more quickly. However, anecdotally some people see improvement when using it. Please contact your doctor for specific recommendations. Good lulck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Fillers can cause swelling and bruising on the lips for up to 2 weeks. I suggest you see an expert for treatment and try cannula injections.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm Filler

It is very common for Juvederm in the lips to swell. This can last anywhere rom a few days up to two weeks. Your final result will likely be what your lips looked like immediately post injection, so do not worry too much. The over the counter arnica sublingual tablets are what my office recommends to patients.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Lip Swelling After Injection

Swelling after lip injections is common enough that it should be expected.  Most is gone in 24-72hrs and by 2weeks you should be seeing your final results.  Also, first thing in the morning the swelling is the worst as body fluids can redistribute over night.  I like to keep things simple with ice and time as treatment for the swelling.  Progressively worsening swelling and pain should be evaluated by your doctor.

What to expect after lip fillers...

Swelling is definitely an expected side effect. Give it a 1-2 weeks before you see a stable outcome.  Please watch my video for more details on lip fillers/ augmentation. I like Ocumend Arnica/ Ledum pads following injections. You can't keep them on the red lip, but they can be placed on the white upper lip. You can only find in some doctors' offices. They are best if applied immediately after the injection and again 6 hours later. I hope you enjoy your final outcome. 

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon