Do my breasts look normal for being 3 week post op breast augmentation? (photos)

I am worried that there could be something wrong, maybe a capsular or something?

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Still Early in the Healing Process

As others have said, your breast augmentation appears to have involved large implants, which can stretch the tissue and skin and cause discomfort and tightness. At 3 weeks, you are still quite early in your recovery. It can take months for the implants to settle into their final position. Without knowing the details of your procedure — the size of the implants, the incision location, and where the implants were placed, for example — it's not possible to offer much constructive advice. I will say this: Be patient. If you remain concerned in a few more weeks, discuss your worries with your plastic surgeon. 

Howard Silverman, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. Congratulations on your recent surgery. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS

Do my breasst look normal after a BAM

HI wee annie,

Your breasts look quite swollen, but it could be that you have very large implants. The right one looks a bit red. I would call your surgeon and ask to see him/her for a check -up to make sure you are not developing an infection.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Christine Rodgers, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

BA Pain At 3 Weeks

Dear wee annie, I agree with my colleagues...it appears that you have fairly large implants and as a result the skin tightness and muscle spasm may take a while longer to resolve. Please continue to follow up with your surgeon. Good luck. Dr. Gervais.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Timeline

Thank you for your question. Typically, by three weeks pain has resolved a lot. Because you have such large implants, you could experience a longer period of discomfort while your tissues stretch to accommodate. I recommend that you see your Plastic Surgeon in person if you have ongoing concerns or see concerning changes.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Three weeks after augmentation - still in pain

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• You appear to have very large implants -
  • It can take six months for pain to go away completely when implants are large for a woman's frame.
  • However on one side, the photo suggests more swelling and perhaps some redness. 
  • If this is present and not an artifact of the photo, please see your surgeon for an examination. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

BA 3 weeks

Thank you for your question.  You have fairly large implants and usually have more pain from stretching. Please follow up with your PS for evaluation and make sure they healing well.

Ven Erella, MD

Breast Scar Revision

Thank you for your question and photograph. At 3 weeks your breasts will still be swollen and firm. As your tissues expand to make room for the implants the breasts will soften and round out. It takes about 3 months for the implants to drop and approximately 6 months to heal.

Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. In my experience, I would recommend waiting longer to see how your breasts heal.

Matthew A. Galumbeck, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implants at 3 weeks

You have very large implants and it is best to be seen in person to determine how you are healing. Good luck.