Too big for Tummy tuck. Any suggestions? (photos)

I've had 3 children close together. I lost 50lb 2 years ago. I am now 160lb and my weight has been stable for the last 2 years. I have an overhang but it's not skin. It feels like fat. I would love a tummy tuck but I think I may still be too overweight.

Too big for Tummy tuck. Any suggestions

Hello Dear thank you so much for your questions and pictures.

Congratulations on your weight loss!! According with your pictures you would be an excelent candidate for a Full Tummy Tuck, this is a procedure designed especially for women who have had multiple pregnancies and that because of this your skin not resumes its original tone. This procedure will give you a belly more flat and firm.

Hope hear from you soon , best wishes!!

In my opinion, ok for a tummy tuck

Looking just at that picture, I think you would have a very nice outcome from a tummy tuck. By all means, I would encourage you to continue your weight loss if possible and to maintain good exercise habits, but I believe you could undergo a tummy tuck now at your current weight and have a very nice result. There is a point where a patient is too large and either it makes the operation too risky or the limits the outcome, but in your case and at your weight, I don't believe that would be the case. If anything, the revolutionary improvement from the tummy tuck would make more weight loss possible and further improve your health and well-being. I would encourage you to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and see what your options are. Best of luck!

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question. Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery. For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30. In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Too big for Tummy tuck. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the question and picture. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. Whether or not combination surgery should be performed (or whether the procedures should be staged) will depend on many factors, especially safety considerations. 

Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step.

I think that you are a very good candidate for tummy tuck.  You should have a nice result.

You could do it now, but weight loss is best

At this point, you are a candidate for a tummy tuck. However, losing more weight before surgery will not only reduce the risk of the surgery but also improve your result!  Just be honest with yourself -- If you're not going to lose any more weight, go ahead and see a plastic surgeon and consider surgery.  If you can lose more you'll be happier with the end result.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination you appear to be a good surgical candidate and I think you would most benefit from a full tummy tuck and liposuction of your waist, hips and flanks.  The tummy tuck will tighten your stomach muscles, helping to achieve a flatter appearance, while removing excess skin and adipose tissue.  Liposuction can be used to enhance your tummy tuck results by narrowing your waist and removing isolated areas of diet and exercise resistant fat.  Hope that this helps.

Tummy Tuck

Congratulations on your weight loss! It does not appear that you are too big for a tummy tuck. Please consult plastic surgeon in your area for a thorough evaluation. Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Too Overweight?

Based on the picture, it actually appears as though you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  However, an in-person exam would be necessary to determine the fat distribution (inside vs. outside the abdominal wall) and see if you are actually a good candidate.  I recommend consulting with a local/regional plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon