A question about lower face lift and fat transfer to upper and lower cheeks. Can I ask, what procedure would be done first?

Facelift and facial fat transfer at the same time

Facelift and fat transfer to the face are a wonderful coupling of two procedures that both lift and restore natural-looking volume to rejuvenate a patient's overall look.  Both procedures can be done simultaneously, facelift first followed by fat transfer.  Doing both procedures allows the patient to have only one recovery time.  Degree of recovery time will vary form patient to patient.

Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Up to Doctor

This order doesn't really affect the outcome of your result - it's completely up to the discretion of the physician.

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Which Procedure First?

These procedures can be done in the same surgery, which will allow you to combine the recovery time. If you are asking which procedure would be performed first in the surgical suite, the lower facelift would be completed first, and then the fat transfer.
I agree with the other surgeons who have responded, in that there may be cases in which these procedures need to be staged for the health of the patient, or to provide a better outcome. Each individual is unique, so you should be sure to have a board certified facial plastic surgeon evaluate you and provide you with an individualized treatment plan based on your health and anatomy.

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and Fat Grafts

These procedures can be performed at the same setting.  Their are pros and cons to fat grafts.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is highly experienced to confirm you are a candidate for these surgeries.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Hi, I have performed many facelifts and facial shaping procedures over the past 30 years.  IMHO, fat transfer is far less reliable at providing the proper aesthetic volume and shape than a dermal filler or a facial implant.  I perform facial shaping and contouring with every facelift following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty.  These beauty principles reveal that women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.   Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.  Male faces, on the other hand look ruggedly handsome when there is angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles. In addition to chin augmentation, cheek augmentation with either a dermal filler or cheek implants (for a permanent enhancement) will add angularity to the cheeks. Mandibular angle augmentation with a dermal filler (jaw implants IMHO have too many unwanted side effects) will add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

If you have "jowls" this is sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a facelift, not Cheek Augmentation. I have performed many Cheek Augmentations over the past 30 years and the notion that Cheek Implants or dermal fillers to the cheeks will lift tissues is an urban myth. Filler to the cheeks or cheek implants will not lift up the jowls. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured. The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.

Facelift and fat transfer to the face

In our practice, we do not recommend fat transfer to the face due to the fact that  it is unpredictable, has significant variations in results, and sometimes has to be repeated multiple times to get a result. When patient's have flat cheeks, we  insert small Silastic cheek implants which give a consistent result. They're also very easy to remove if ever necessary. The goal of the lower face and neck lift is to tighten loose facial and neck skin, lift the jowls, tighten loose facial and neck muscles, and remove any fatty deposits in the neck. For many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Lower face lift and fat transfer to upper and lower cheeks. Can I ask, what procedure would be done first?

While the procedures can be done in either order, they are usually performed at the same time in the appropriate patient.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hi Sedvid,

I regularly perform fat grafting to the cheeks and face lift at the same time or in stages. The important thing is to have a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon with experience doing the procedure with a health patient.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial rejuvenation

There are pros and cons of both procedures and you need to be taken through this with a surgeon that has experience in both these techniques. One can perform both at the same time or in stages.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon