I recently underwent a Male Breast Reduction and I'm worried about the size of my nipples post op. (photos)

This is 2nd op to remove excess skin from losing 10 stone. I had the surgery carried out 2 weeks ago and have started massaging the wound area to help with scarring and have also been advised to use micropore tape over the incision marks for 3 months. I am worried about the nipple size though and want to know if it will shrink with time or if they will stay that large as I fear the outcome so far is very unnatural looking and it's really depressing to look at just now. Please give me good news.

Your Healing Process After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

I recently underwent a Male Breast Reduction and I'm worried about the size of my nipples

Congratulations on losing the 10 stone. Change in areolar size can happen after surgery. It is unlikely that they will go down in size to approach your pre-op picture. I suggest talking to your surgeon about options 6-9 months after surgery if there is a persistent problem.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Areola size after male breast reduction

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Enlargement of the areolas after this type of procedure is common. 

Timothy Connall, MD