I had gynaecomastia for quite some time, nearly 9 years in fact. Would I be a good candidate for surgery under the NHS? (photo)

I grew about 10 inches in one year (I am 5ft 11), when I was about 12 years old, I experienced a very rapid change in my body size and have had to shave regularly since the age of 14. I also have quite a heavy brow and I am pretty large in frame. I also have a mild scoliosis. I am suspicious that I may have a mild developmental disorder.

Doctor Answers 3

Determing If You Are a Gynecomastia Surgery Candidate

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.  So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews


Thank you for the question and the photos and you appear to have a mild case of gynecomastia.  So get worked up by a endocrinologist and then see some experts in your area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

I had Gynaecomastia for quite some time, nearly 9 years in fact. Would I be a good candidate for surgery under the NHS?

Thank you for your question.

You should have a consultation with an Endocrinologist for your developmental and Endocrine concerns. Based on your photographs, Gynecomastia appears to be mild and can be easily corrected. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 163 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.