Would be a candidate for Labiaplasty - it is causing significant discomfort and would like to resolve this? (photo)

Mostly I feel discomfort with underwear getting twisted or caught, and exercise - in particular cycling which I previously enjoyed - and sex, which can be uncomfortable and awkward as I need to readjust myself. I feel the skin sags a lot and I am quite unhappy with the appearance. However, I am most interested to know if Labiaplasty would improve the problems I have related, as although aesthetics is important I am seriously considering this on the basis that it would increase my comfort.

Are you a candidate for a labiaplasty?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Labiaplasty and comfort

Labiaplasty can help alleviate the symptoms you have mentioned, with the excess tissue causing discomfort in clothing, with exercise and during sex. The shortened labia will not only appear tucked(less droopy), but will offer you the comfort and confidence you are seeking. An evaluation would be needed to ensure you are a good candidate.

Warm regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                       Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora are enlarged but not massively enlarged. Of most importance, they cause you discomfort.  In that case, a labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Candidate for labiaplasty?

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy).  Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter. 

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

This is a very common procedure and can easily be combined with a fat transfer to fill the labia majora. I have attached a video explanation of the procedure.

Dr Scott Ennis

. Based on your enquiry you would seem to be a most suitable candidate for a labiaplasty. Ensure that your surgeon has  experience with this procedure. Good luck!

Paul Jason Skoll, MBChB, FRCS, FCS (SA) Plast
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

I think labiaplasty will correct almost all of your concerns. Looks like you are very good candidate for the procedure. Hope this helps

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty by a labiaplasty expert yes. Labiaplasty on the NHS NO.

Your labia can be reduced in size quite effectively by an expertly conducted labiaplasty and will treat your symptoms reliably. This assumes that the surgeon is an expert in labiaplasty. Since you are a Brit, you might be tempted to go for the "no cost" option of having your generalist document your medical problems and send you to a gynecologist with no real expertise in labiaplasty to perform your labiaplasty on the NHS tab. Big mistake. You will be botched like the countless NHS victims who post their tragedies on this website on a near daily basis. Seek out an expert, pay for quality, reap the results.

Would be a candidate for Labiaplasty - it is causing significant discomfort and would like to resolve this?

Thank you for your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you are experiencing with your labia.  Some women may have, or develop, enlarged or asymmetrical labia that can make exercise, sexual intercourse, or wearing certain types of clothing difficult. In these instances, a labiaplasty allows for a reduction in the size of the labia, while also making a more symmetrical pairing.  All of your complaints are often voiced by patients who elect to undergo a labiaplasty and find improvement/relief.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who could perform a physical exam, would be able to give you a more definitive opinion.